Step by step recipe of Sweetened condensed milk with photos of each step.
Sweetened condensed milk is a condiment used in making many sweet dishes like mithai, deserts, milk shakes and chocolates etc. It is easily available in cans. But making your homemade condensed milk is easy and less pricey. Recipe is really simple and calls for only three ingredients that are almost always available in at home. Sometimes, the recipe calls for only two spoon of condensed milk and the rest of the tin goes unused. More than that, the feeling of making things from scratch is priceless. I have used this sweetened condensed milk in many recipes and work as good as store bought sweetened condensed milk.
Step by step Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk recipe with photos
How to make Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk Recipe
An simple and economical way to make condensed milk at home.
- 2 cup (500 ml) UHT Whole Milk Tetra packed.
- 1 cup (200 gm) Sugar
- 1 pinch Baking Soda (khana ka soda)
Pour milk and sugar in a wide based non-stick pan.
Bring in to boil and then reduce heat and let it simmer on medium low heat till it gets desired consistency. (10-15 min) Stir constantly. Do not overcook as the condensed milk will get hardened.
Turn off heat and immediately add baking soda. Stir well and let it cool.
Your homemade condensed milk is ready.
- For 1 Tin of Condensed milk which in 400gm and approx 300ml, take 2 1/2 cup milk (625 ml) 1 1/4 cup sugar (250 gm)
- The quality of milk can vary the thickness and color. I have tested this recipe with both unpasterized milk as well as UHT treated milk. Works well with both. Unpasterized fresh milk gives a more darker and thinner condensed milk. UHT or tetra pack milk gives lighter color result like tinned condesed milk. So UHT treated is recommended.
- Storage: Store sweetened condensed milk in fridge and it stays good for more than 10 days. If the top of consendensed milk get crumbly in fridge, keep it in room temperature and give it a stir and it will be smooth and runny again.