Step by step recipe of Aloo Baingan Recipe Pakistani with photos of each step.
Get ready to get the easiest, tastiest Pakistani aloo baingan recipe. It gives aroma and flavors of achari baingan without much of the effort. The recipe is quick, just add everything in the pot and let it slow cook for 30 minutes. And, you are ready to drool over tastiest Aloo Baingan ever.
I’ve used only tomatoes and no onions. This is a family recipe and lots of tomatoes give both color and tartness to aloo baingan. I like mine with yogurt, khichri and kachumbar salad along with some pickle or chutney. Aloo baingan is a rustic feast and satisfying soul food.
The recipe has lots of ingredient but you can skip coconut, fennel seeds, curry leaves and few other ingredients if not available. Nothing should stop you from making it that’s my motto.
The trick is to mash the aloo and baingan a bit so no one can pick aloo (potato) and leave baingan (brinjal). Also add a dollop of butter on each serving for best taste.
My other similar recipes
How to make Aloo baingan ?
- ⅓ cup oil (divided)
- 3 ( 300 gram) brinjal , sliced
- 2 (200 gram) potato , peeled and sliced
- 4 (400 gram) tomato , chopped
- 1 tablespoon green chilli paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch), or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (zeera)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ¼ teaspoon black seeds (kaloonji)
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seed (methi)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhnaya)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper corns (kali mirch)
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds (sabut dhanya)
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut (sookha khopra)
- 7-8 curry leaves (kari patta)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (til)
- ½ tablespoon fennel seeds (sauf)
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp , dissolved in little water
- 5-6 green chillies , sliced (hari mirch)
- Handful fresh coriander leaves , chopped finely (hara dhanya)
In a pot add ¼ cup oil then spread first layer of sliced potato then second layer of sliced brinjal and finally a layer of chopped tomatoes. Add all spices and top with remaining oil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Then mix all vegetables and spices very well.
Cover the pot and slow cook for 25 minutes on lowest flame when potatoes are tender and oil separates. Add tamarind pulp in the last and mix. (Keeping checking after every 10 minutes, and add only ¼ cup water if needed.)
Garnish with chili slices and fresh coriander. Serve with lemon slices, pickle and whipped yogurt.
Step by step recipe of Aloo Baingan
In a thick bottomed pot add ¼ cup oil. Then spread a layer of sliced potatoes.
Then add a layer of sliced brinjal.
Spread another layer of chopped tomatoes.
Have a look at the spices.
Add all spices in the pot. Cover a cook for five minutes.
Then mix well. Now cook for 25 minutes on low flame with stirring in between after every 10 minutes. Add only ¼ cup water if required.
Aloo baingan sabzi after 15 minutes of cooking.
A layer of oil has separated on top and potato are tender. Break the potato into large bits with a straight spatula as seen picture.