Step by step recipe of Hyderabadi Chicken 65 recipe
This is super easy, super variant, and super famous Indian Chicken starter. Unlike other fried chicken that become dry upon cooling. Chicken 65 is a winner because after frying, we season the chicken with aromatic spices; this keeps the chicken juicy. This chicken has many many version so feel free to do changes and make your own.
Origin of Chicken 65
There are many stories about the origin of Chicken 65 and all them too bizarre to be taken seriously.
- Chicken 65 is called so because of 65 spices used to make it. Now who can eat such spicy chicken?
- It was made for Indian soldiers as a quick meal during the war of 1965. It’s definitely not a war food.
- The chicken used to make this dish was 65 days old. Really?
- The chicken was cut in 65 pieces to make this dish.
- This chicken was served to soldier in Chennai Canteen. The serial number for this dish was 65.
- Last one that make sense is that it was served in Buhari Restaurant in Tamil Naidu. This dish was developed by A.M Buhari, the owner in the year 1965.
My other similar recipe
How to make Hyderabadi Chicken 65 recipe
Unlike other fried chicken that become dry upon cooking. Chicken 65 is a winner because after frying season the chicken with aromatic spices.
- 500 grams chicken cubes
- 1½ tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- ¾ tablespoon red chilli powder
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoon corn flour
- 3 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoon rice flour
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 egg
- Oil to fry
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ tablespoon garlic
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai dana)
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 6 green chillies ,seeded removed and slit in to slices
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon water
Wash and dry chicken cubes thoroughly.
In a bowl mix all ingredients to marinate chicken ( Spices, Flours, Other) thoroughly.
Set aside for 30 minutes or over night in refrigerator.
Just before serving deep fry chicken in wok on medium heat until golden and crispy.
Remove oil from wok, wipe with tissue. In same wok add 1 tablespoon oil and fry garlic, mustard, curry leaves and green chillies for 1 minute on medium heat.
Now , add red chilli powder, ketchup and water. Mix well and stir in fried chicken. Coat chicken with seasoning and cook until heated well.
Serve hot with onion slices and lemon wedge.
Step by step Hyderabadi Chicken 65 recipe
Take chicken in a bowl.
Add all the ingredients to marinate chicken in a bowl.
Mix well and also add an egg. (I forgot to add rice flour in first photo so I added in second.)
Mix well and marinate for at least 30 minutes or preferably 2 hours in fridge.
Then, deep fry chicken on high heat until golden and crispy.
Fry chicken in 2-3 batches and set aside. (Tip: Prepare tempering in same wok. Remove oil from the wok and wipe with a tissue. )
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok and fry garlic, mustard, curry leaves and green chilli for 1 minute.
Add ketchup and red chilli powder.
Add fried chicken and coat evenly with seasoning. And cook for 2-3 minutes until chicken is thoroughly heated.