Dabba Chicken Pie Recipe is a fancier chicken version of traditional Bohra Dabba Gosht. This is one pot quick pie that is very easy to make and delicious. The detailed video tutorial is also present in the post.
On surface this pie appears just another type of Alfredo pasta. But dig through it and you’ll find cashew instead of flour and and yogurt instead of milk. Not to mention coconut milk and the layer of fried eggs on top. This pie is a lavish treat.
Dabba, literally means a metal tiffin box. This dish was traditionally set in a dabba and loads of smoking hot oil was poured over the eggs to cook it. The excess oil could be removed with a spoon. To avoid excess oil, you can bake the eggs. I added a little smoking hot oil and allowed the pan to cook on slow heat with lid covered. In this way eggs are cooked by steam in the pot.
This is again one of those recipes, I’m very confident about. This turns out very good with little effort.
To keep recipe simple, I’ve added whipped eggs in pan only and allowed it to cook in steam. If you wish to have a fancier look, bake the eggs in oven.
- To bake in a dish: Transfer the prepared pasta in an oven proof dish. Pour whipped eggs over the pasta. Then drizzle smoking hot oil over it. Finally bake it in a preheated oven at 350 F for 5-7 minutes or until eggs are just set.
- You can add or subtract veggies of your choice like baby corn, mushrooms and broccoli.
- If you don’t have cashew, you may use almond powder.
- Plain flour can also be used instead of cashew powder, but taste will be compromised. You can switch coconut milk powder for fresh coconut milk or coconut cream too. Just cut off extra water in the recipe.
My other similar recipes
Video Tutorial: Dabba Chicken Pie Recipe
How to make Dabba Chicken Pie?
If you try this recipe or any other recipe from my site, please share on social media with #loveRecipe52 or tag us on Facebook and Instagram @recipe52.
- 1 cup raw elbow pasta (macroni)
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 to 1½ tablespoon chopped green chilli
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoon cashew powder (substitute almond powder or plain flour)
- 500 gram boneless chicken , cubed
- ½ cup yogurt , whipped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup corns , boiled
- ½ cup carrots , diced
- 1/4 cup capsicum
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- ½ cup cream
- 3 eggs , whipped
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Tomato slices to garnish
- Capsicum slices to garnish
- 3 tablespoon oil to drizzle on dish
Cook elbow pasta in boiling water for 1 minute less than the instructions on the packet. After draining hot water, rinse pasta with cold water and keep it in colander. Drizzle little oil over pasta and coat evenly with thin film of oil. Set aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add garlic, ginger, green chilli paste, cumin powder, black pepper and cashew powder, stir for few seconds then add chicken. Mix well and cover the pot. Cook on low heat for 15 minute until tender.
Now add yogurt, coconut milk, boiled pasta corn , carrots and capsicum. Mix well and cover the pot. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until vegetables get soft. Keep the heat on low.
Now add fresh coriander and cream. Mix well and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Then remove from heat.
Garnish with tomato and capsicum slices.
Whip three eggs, salt and red chilli powder in a bowl. Pour whipped egg over the pasta.
Then heat oil in vessel until smoking hot. Drizzle oil evenly over the eggs.
Cover the pot and cook pie on lowest heat for 5-7 minutes until set.
Slice and serve immediately.
Pin It, Watsapp, Share! Let everyone know you discovered this amazing recipe. SHARING IS CARING!
Like, Comment, Subscribe to let us know your opinion and request. We are working everyday to bring best taste with easiest recipe.