Get ready to get the easiest, tastiest Indian/Pakistani aloo baingan recipe. It gives the aroma and flavors of achari baingan without much effort. The recipe is quick, just add everything to the pot and let it slow cook for 30 minutes. And, you are ready to drool over the tastiest Indian Eggplant Curry.
I've used only tomatoes and no onions. This is a family recipe and lots of tomatoes give both color and tartness to aloo baingan. I like mine with yogurt, khichri and kachumbar salad along with some pickle or chutney. Indian Eggplant curry is a rustic feast and satisfying soul food.
If you like eggplant, check this Thai Eggplant curry by Season and Thyme. You can substitute Thai green eggplant with regular purple ones.
What is aloo baingan?
Indian eggplant potato curry is a staple South Asian vegetable cooked in most Indian Pakistani homes. The eggplant is cooked in typical onion tomato gravy with Indian spices. The taste of this curry is finger-licking good and very satisfying with khichri or naan.
Tips to make
The recipe has lots of ingredients but you can skip coconut, fennel seeds, curry leaves, and few other ingredients if not available. Nothing should stop you from making it that's my motto.
Some people especially kids who do not like the dark skin of eggplant may pick potato from the gravy. So to help this the trick is to mash the aloo and baingan a bit so no one cannot pick aloo (potato) and leave baingan (brinjal). Also, add a dollop of butter to each serving for the best taste.
How to make?
In a thick bottomed pot add ¼ cup oil. Then spread a layer of sliced potatoes.
Then add a layer of sliced brinjal.
Spread another layer of chopped tomatoes.
Have a look at the spices. Skip anything that is not in hand. Its ok!
Add all spices in the pot. Cover a cook for five minutes.
Then mix well. Now cook for 25 minutes on low flame with stirring in between after every 10 minutes. Add only ¼ cup water if required.
Aloo baingan sabzi after 15 minutes of cooking.
A thin layer of oil has separated on top and potatoes are tender. Break the potato into large bits with a spatula as the seen picture. Serve Indian eggplant curry with naan and fresh salad.
Hungry for more recipes? Check these!
Tried any recipes? I'd LOVE to hear about it in the comments. Your 5-star ratings and comments motivate me to do my best.
Aloo Baingan Recipe Pakistani
- ⅓ cup oil, (divided)
- 3 ( 300 gram) brinjal, , sliced
- 2 (200 gram) potato, , peeled and sliced
- 4 (400 gram) tomato, , chopped
- 1 tablespoon green chilli paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, (lal mirch), or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, (zeera)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds, (rai)
- ¼ teaspoon black seeds, (kaloonji)
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seed, (methi)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, (haldi)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder, (dhnaya)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper corns, (kali mirch)
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds, (sabut dhanya)
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut, (sookha khopra)
- 7-8 curry leaves, (kari patta)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, (til)
- ½ tablespoon fennel seeds, (sauf)
- salt , to taste
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp, , dissolved in little water
- 5-6 green chillies, , sliced (hari mirch)
- Handful fresh coriander leaves, , chopped finely (hara dhanya)
- In a pot add ¼ cup oil then spread first layer of sliced potato then second layer of sliced brinjal and finally a layer of chopped tomatoes. Add all spices and top with remaining oil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Then mix all vegetables and spices very well.
- Cover the pot and slow cook for 25 minutes on lowest flame when potatoes are tender and oil separates. Add tamarind pulp in the last and mix. (Keeping checking after every 10 minutes, and add only ¼ cup water if needed.)
- Garnish with chili slices and fresh coriander. Serve with lemon slices, pickle and whipped yogurt.