Step by step aloo gosht recipe Pakistani style with photos of each step.
Aloo gosht (Curry of goat meat and potatoes ) is a staple curry in every Pakistani home. What is most important in cooking aloo (potatoes) gosht (mutton, meat of goat) is getting a thin single thread gravy.
Hassle Free Easy version of Aloo Gosht Recipe
I make this aloo gosht recipe in two versions. One with brown onions like I did in this recipe and another with raw onions, cut in four large chunks .
If I used raw onion chunks then I put all ingredient in the pot together except potatoes and garnish. After meat is tender, I need to do a lot of searing (bhonofying) to get that distinct (bhunna) taste.
When I use fried/brown onions, taste is distinctly different and a little searing (bhunnofying) till oil separates does the job.
If you don’t add potatoes and stop cooking on 4th step, you have delicious curry goat without potatoes or Bhunna gosht.
Potatoes Cooking time
If your usually potatoes take very long to cook, then you may boil potatoes with salt and a pinch of turmeric. When potatoes are half done add to the curry and discard the water used for boiling.
Slow cooking onion slices
What is most important is you golden onion slices on slow flame in about 15-20 minutes. I know, whose got that sort of time in today’s world.
First thing, when you start cooking is set your sliced onions on slow heat to golden. Meanwhile, wash your meat, do other preps; do your dishes. Make the roti dough, boil rice and that’s how you save time or manage time.
That slow cooking of onion does the trick of dissolving onions and you’ll have that thin single thread gravy without the need to pulse the onion tomato gravy in food processor; which never gives the same result as this, even the color is different.
However, if you have pre-fried brown onions as I mentioned then you can just crush it and add along with meat and spices, things will be quick. So, I have mentioned measures for both.
Tip of the day
Whenever, you have to fry 2 medium sliced onions, instead fry 4 medium onion and save half the batch for next time. Just throw golden onions on paper towel with every strand separated. After cooling, store in an air tight container. This’ll save your time (specially, if you prefer fresh and home fried onions) and you’ll always have fried onions for garnishing too.
My other similar recipes
How to make Aloo gosht recipe
Aloo Gosht,Recipe Pakistani Style
- 500 grams lamb/mutton pieces with bones - ,I used goat leg pieces.
- ½ cup oil - use less if using fried onions
- 2 (250 gram) onions sliced - or ½ cup packed fried onions, see notes
- 1 to 1½ tablespoon green chilli paste - ,less or more chilli as per spice level
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri chilli - for colour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 inch cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves
- 1 black cardamom - , split
- 3 tomatoes - , cut in large chunks
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- Water as required
- 2-3 green chillies - slit, deseeded
- fistful fresh coriander leaves - ,chopped
- 2 lemon - wedges
- Take oil in a pot and fry onion slices for 10-15 minutes on slow flame. Fry further on medium flame for 5 minutes until light golden.
- Now, add all spices and meat in the pot and fry further for 7 minutes until meat changes it's color to brown.
- Stir in tomatoes and add ½ cup warm water, cover the pot. Cook on slow heat until meat is tender. (You may pressure cook the meat.)
- Remove lid and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat with frequent stirring until oil separates on the side of pot. (Bhunnofying)
- Pour ¾ cup water in the pot, stir and throw in potatoes chunks. Potatoes should be immersed in gravy. Cover the lid and cook for 7-10 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
- Garnish with coriander and chillies.
Step by step Aloo gosht recipe, Pakistani Style
In a pot, fry onions on slow flame with occasional stirring for 10-15 minutes.
When onion are very soft, turn heat to medium and fry until light golden.
In this pic, you can see the spices.
Add spices to fried onion and fry for 30 seconds.
Stir in mutton and fry for 5 minutes on high heat until color changes.
The color has changed.
Add tomatoes and ½ cup warm water. Mix and cover the lid tightly. Cook on medium heat until meat is tender. (45 minutes to 1½ hour.)
When meat is tender. We cook the stew on high heat for 10-15 minutes stirring frequently until oil separates on sides of pot. (Bhunnofying)
Curry gosht or bhunna gosht is ready. Now we’ll add potatoes to make curry goat with potatoes or aloo gosht.
Add potatoes and water.
Mix well, make sure potatoes are immersed in gravy. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat with lid tightly covered until potatoes are fork tender.
Curry Goat with potatoes or Aloo gosht is ready. Garnish with chopped green coriander leaves and green chillies.