Step by step of Aloo ki roti recipe with photos of each step.
Inspiration for this recipe came from Tarla Dalal’s book ‘Joy’s Of Vegetarian cooking’. What might interest you is that, I made this roti when I was only 14 year old or even younger. Potatoes were easy to handle as a kid and this was the only recipe, I felt, I can cook after going through her whole book. My mother was out to work and my brother loved these ‘Aloo ki Roti’ (potato flabreads). I made them since.
Now, my kids love it. This makes super quick meal when you don’t have anything in hand and kids are hungry. The handling of roti is bit tricky since it gets sticky. Don’t worry, I’ll share all tips in step by step so you can make it with ease.
Of course, it’s a simple recipe very similar to aloo ka paratha so can use same spices that you normally mix in aloo paratha and vary the recipe to your taste. Lastly, you can also use leftover aloo to make this roti.
Do give it a try, they simply melt in the mouth. Since, this aloo ki roti in very soft, you can give it to your toddlers; of course with less spices.
My other similar recipes
Leftover Daal ki roti
How to make aloo ki roti recipe?
Aloo ki Roti Recipe |Potato Flatbread
- 500 grams Potato
- 1 cup wheat flour - , more for dusting
- 1½ teaspoon turmeric - ,divided
- ½-1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 green chillies - chopped
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon roasted and grounded cumin
- ½ tablespoon roasted and grounded coriander
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves - , chopped
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - to fry
- Boil potatoes with 1 teaspoon turmeric and salt until fork tender. Run cold water over potatoes to cool them and peel off the skin.
- Mash potatoes in bowl and add all remaining ingredients. mix well to form a soft dough. ( You may add more wheat flour if needed to form dough.)
- Divide dough in to seven portions. Dust each portion generously with wheat flour and roll into a small, 1/8 inch thick flatbread. Lift each flatbread carefully and dust flour on both sides.
- Fry each flatbread on a non stick pan with little oil , turning from side to side until you see brown spots. Serve hot with chutney.