Step by step of Aloo ki roti recipe with photos of each step.
Inspiration for this recipe came from Tarla Dalal’s book ‘Joy’s Of Vegetarian cooking’. What might interest you is that, I made this roti when I was only 14 year old or even younger. Potatoes were easy to handle as a kid and this was the only recipe, I felt, I can cook after going through her whole book. My mother was out to work and my brother loved these ‘Aloo ki Roti’ (potato flabreads). I made them since.
Now, my kids love it. This makes super quick meal when you don’t have anything in hand and kids are hungry. The handling of roti is bit tricky since it gets sticky. Don’t worry, I’ll share all tips in step by step so you can make it with ease.
Of course, it’s a simple recipe very similar to aloo ka paratha so can use same spices that you normally mix in aloo paratha and vary the recipe to your taste. Lastly, you can also use leftover aloo to make this roti.
Do give it a try, they simply melt in the mouth. Since, this aloo ki roti in very soft, you can give it to your toddlers; of course with less spices.
My other similar recipes
Leftover Daal ki roti
How to make aloo ki roti recipe?
Aloo ki Roti Recipe |Potato Flatbread
- 500 grams Potato
- 1 cup wheat flour, , more for dusting
- 1½ teaspoon turmeric, ,divided
- ½-1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon roasted and grounded cumin
- ½ tablespoon roasted and grounded coriander
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves, , chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Oil , to fry
- Boil potatoes with 1 teaspoon turmeric and salt until fork tender. Run cold water over potatoes to cool them and peel off the skin.
- Mash potatoes in bowl and add all remaining ingredients. mix well to form a soft dough. ( You may add more wheat flour if needed to form dough.)
- Divide dough in to seven portions. Dust each portion generously with wheat flour and roll into a small, 1/8 inch thick flatbread. Lift each flatbread carefully and dust flour on both sides.
- Fry each flatbread on a non stick pan with little oil , turning from side to side until you see brown spots. Serve hot with chutney.
Step by step Aloo ki roti recipe
Boil potatoes with salt and 1 teaspoon turmeric. Let it cool, then peel off the skin.
Mash potatoes into smooth paste.
Add all spices, onion, green chilli, coriander and salt.
Mix well, add a tablespoon of oil and form a dough.
Make a soft dough.
Roll out seven portions.
Dust each portion generously with flour.
Roll out a flat bread.
Dust with more flour. Slide a flat knife under the roti to flip it.
Dust with flour. (Basically dust both sides with flour as potato tends to release water upon heating. This extra flour will not let the roti break while we fry it.)
Heat a non stick pan and grease with oil.
First each side for 30 seconds.
Flip and cook other side until you see some light brown spot. Enjoy with you favorite chutney.
Pardon me for the photo, since these were gone quickly and i had to ask hubby to take a quick photo. I’ll update a tempting photo ASAP.
Please share your opinion about this recipe. Do you have better recipe?