Step by step of aloo roti recipe with photos of each step. Inspiration for this aloo ki roti came from Tarla Dalal's book 'Joy's Of Vegetarian cooking'. This makes a super quick meal when you don't have anything in hand and kids are hungry. The handling of potato roti is a bit tricky since it gets sticky. Don't worry, I'll share all the tips step by step so you can make it with ease.
What might interest you is that I made this potato roti when I was only 14 years old or even younger. Potatoes were easy to handle as a kid and this was the only recipe, I felt, I can cook after going through her whole book. My mother was out to work and my brother loved these 'Aloo Roti' (potato roti). I made them again and again since then. Now, my kids love it.
What is aloo roti?
Roti are Indian flatbreads. Aloo roti is a flatbread made with mashed potato and flour dough. The dough is spiced herbs and Indian spices. Do not confuse it with paratha which has aloo stuffing in the roti. While this is aloo paratha without stuffing.
Ingredient of potato roti
Tips to make Aloo ki roti
It's a simple recipe very similar to aloo ka paratha so can use the same spices that you normally mix in aloo paratha and vary the recipe to your taste. You can also use leftover aloo to make this roti.
What to serve with potato roti?
Potato roti can be enjoyed alone as a snack around teatime or at breakfast. They are pretty filling so it can make a nice lunch too. You can serve it with your favorite chutney or ketchup.
How to store potato roti?
Potato roti tastes best when served hot and fresh. Leftover roti stays good for 2-3 hours at room temperature. Potatoes tend to release water as it cools so it is best to store leftover roti in the fridge. Roti stays good in the fridge for 2 days.
Can I make it gluten-free?
Yes! Just use gluten free flour instead of wheat flour and you can make this roti gluten free.
Do give it a try, they simply melt in the mouth. Since this aloo ki roti is very soft, you can give it to your toddlers; of course with fewer spices.
How to make aloo ki roti recipe?
Boil potatoes with salt and 1 teaspoon turmeric. Let it cool, then peel off the skin. Mash potatoes into a smooth paste.
Add all spices, onion, green chilli, coriander and salt. Mix well.
Mix well, add a tablespoon of oil and form a dough.
Make a soft dough.
Roll out seven portions.
Dust each portion generously with flour. Roll out a flat bread.
Dust with more flour. Slide a flat knife under the aloo roti to flip it. Dust with flour. (Basically dust both sides with flour as potato tends to release water upon heating. This extra flour will not let the roti break while we fry it.) Heat a non-stick pan and grease with oil. Cook each side for 30 seconds.
Flip and cook the other side until you see some light brown spot on the aloo roti. Enjoy it with your favorite chutney.
Pardon me for the photo, since these aloo roti were gone quickly and I had to ask hubby to take a quick photo. I'll update a tempting photo ASAP.
Hungry for roti? Check these!
Please share your opinion about this recipe. Do you have better recipe?
Aloo Roti Recipe |Potato roti
- 500 grams potato
- 1 cup wheat flour, more for dusting
- 1½ teaspoon turmeric, divided
- ½-1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon cumin powder
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder, preferably roasted and grounded
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Oil , to fry
- Boil potatoes with 1 teaspoon turmeric and salt until fork tender. Run cold water over potatoes to cool them and peel off the skin.
- Mash potatoes in a bowl and add all remaining ingredients. Mix well to form a soft dough. (You may add more wheat flour if needed to form a dough.)
- Divide dough in to seven portions. Dust each portion generously with wheat flour and roll into a small, ⅛ inch thick flatbread. Lift each flatbread carefully and dust flour on both sides.
- Fry each flatbread on a non stick pan with little oil, turning from side to side until you see brown spots. Serve hot with chutney.