Step by step recipe of yummy baked mashed potato recipe. Ok, I love all those dishes that you can prepare in advance and bake few hours later. It’s simply so convenient! All mess is already put away and you just need to bake when your guest have arrived and serve it popping hot.
These potatoes are soft creamy, garlicky and everything yummy. This will definitely, replace our usual mashed potatoes. My younger son loves it, and I gave it to him in tiffin for school, he likes it as snack too and for him, I’ve tried it many times.
The recipe was shared to me by my cousin, I followed the recipe exactly but I still wish to suggest few changes that could me made to suit your taste.
I used 1 tablespoon garlic, as hubby loves garlicky flavours. But, I believe ½ tablespoon is good for everyone’s taste, or even less or no garlic if you hate that garlic breath.
Secondly, when you rest the dish, the garlic flavor will infuse and intensify. This is a thing about garlic that I’ve noticed while making hummus too. So, just be ready for mature garlic flavor later and hold yourself from adding extra.
I’m using just ¼ cup milk which keeps the dish moist and creamy. But if you bake it longer it will be dry. You may add extra 2 tablespoon, if your mixture is dry.
Cream or cream cheese
Actually, I’ve tried both. And obviously, cream cheese taste a lot better. Cream does the job of cream cheese is not available.
I topped the dish with bread crumbs, you can add Parmesan or cheddar as well if you love cheesy topping. Do not over do bread crumb; a very thing layer here there is good.
What to do with Leftover baked potato.
Leftovers, are eaten next day easily. You may reheat in a pan with little milk. Here’s an excellent recipe of potato pancake with leftover mashed potatoes.
My other similar recipe
How to make baked mashed potato recipe
Baked Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 500 gram potatoes
- ½ small onion – , finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon garlic – 1 tablespoon for strong garlic taste
- 3 tablespoon salted butter
- 3 tablespoon cream cheese or cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoon bread crumbs
- A pinch of dried oregano
- Boil potatoes with salt until fork tender. Peel and mash potatoes until smooth.
- Add all the ingredients except garnish and blend with immersion blender or food processor. It will have smooth, slightly sticky consistency.
- Transfer mashed potato to a baking dish and top with bread crumb. (The height of mashed potato in dish should be 2 inch or more.)
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 7 minutes until hot. Then broil it for 1-2 minutes until you see golden spots on breadcrumbs.