Step by step recipe of Red Chicken Recipe with photos of each step.
This is the oldest and most famous chicken recipe of Bohra Cuisine. As, I had told earlier Bohra cuisine varies from region to region like in any cuisine so this chicken recipe is more famous in Pakistan.
I remember, in most of wedding lunches in my childhood, this chicken was most commonly served and yet was always tasty. Sometime, with same recipe mutton leg was also cooked. What I really liked was that every caterer had a unique taste and way of serving it. I have mentioned a lot of garnishing but you can serve few or altogether without any of them. And sauteed vegetables are also optional.
Some people even marinate it in hara masala( ginger, green chilli and garlic paste) and then cook it in same ketchup mayonnaise sauce. So you may adjust to your taste or copy the recipe ditto. It is very simple recipe for newbies as well.
I used whole chicken here but you can marinate whole chicken cut into eight piece (bihari tikka cut) or whole chicken cut into 4 pieces. I will recommend 8 pieces as it allows easy serving, better marination and absolute tenderness. If you are using whole chicken to make it, use small sized chicken.
How to make Red Chicken
Bohra Red Chicken (Ketchup, Mayonaisse, Tikka Masala)
- 1 kg whole skinless chicken or - 8 pieces of chicken
- 7-8 tablespoons tikka masala or tandoori masala
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup chilli garlic sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise/ cream - ,cream is recommended
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup assorted vegetable - (carrot, capsicum, onions)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 inch piece of charcoal
- few drops of oil
- 1 boiled egg - for garnish
- handful fresh coriander
- 1 packet Slims chips - (potato sticks)
- 3-4 Salad leaves
- Wash and dry chicken with a napkin. Make deep cuts and poke chicken all around with fork.
- Mix all ingredients of marination and cover the chicken thoroughly with it.
- Marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Next day cook chicken for 20 minutes or until done. Burn all water on high flame. Sear (bhunna) the chicken for few minutes on high flame. Your chicken is ready.
- Mix all ingredient of sauce and keep ready. Before serving, heat the chicken fully , pour the sauce and mix. Cover the chicken cook for few minutes. Do not over cook.
- Saute vegetables and add to the chicken. You can also smoke this chicken at this stage with a piece of red-hot coal and few drops of oil.
- Serve with garnishing of your choice.