This is the oldest and most famous Red Chicken of Bohra Cuisine. As I had told earlier Bohra cuisine varies from region to region like in any cuisine so this chicken recipe is more famous in Pakistan.
I remember, in most of the wedding lunches in my childhood, this chicken was most commonly served and yet was always tasty. Sometimes, with the same recipe mutton leg was also cooked. What I really liked was that every caterer had a unique taste and way of serving it. I have mentioned a lot of garnishing but you can serve a few or altogether without any of them. And sauteed vegetables are also optional.
Some people even marinate it in hara masala( ginger, green chilli and garlic paste) and then cook it in same ketchup mayonnaise sauce. So you may adjust to your taste or copy the recipe ditto. It is very simple recipe for newbies as well.
I used whole chicken here but you can marinate whole chicken cut into eight piece (bihari tikka cut) or whole chicken cut into 4 pieces. I will recommend 8 pieces as it allows easy serving, better marination and absolute tenderness. If you are using whole chicken to make it, use small sized chicken.
How to make Red Chicken
Wash chicken, dry with a towel then poke the chicken all over with a fork.
Then, place deep cuts on the chicken breast and thighs.
Take ginger garlic paste, Tikka masala, butter and yogurt in a bowl. Mix well.
Apply marination all over generously. Marinate over night or at least two hours. Cook in thick bottomed pot for 15- 20 minutes on medium flame or until tender.
Turn the chicken for even cooking.
Burn all the water add 4 tablespoon oil and sautee chicken in oil. ( bhunna)
Prepare sauce by mixing ketchup, mayonnaise or cream , and chilli garlic sauce in a bowl. Mix well. Add sauce to the chicken and cook for a few minutes. Also, add a garnish of your choice.
Hungry for more? Check these!
Bohra Red Chicken (Ketchup, Mayonaisse, Tikka Masala)
- 1 kg whole skinless chicken or, 8 pieces of chicken
- 5 tablespoons Chicken Tikka Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 4 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup chilli garlic sauce
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup steamed assorted vegetable, (carrot, capsicum, potato)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5-6 round button red chillies
- 2 inch piece of charcoal
- few drops of oil
- 1 boiled egg , for garnish
- handful fresh coriander
- 1 packet Slims chips, (potato sticks)
- 3-4 Salad leaves
- Wash and dry chicken with a napkin. Make deep cuts and poke chicken all around with fork.
- Mix all ingredients of marination and cover the chicken thoroughly with it.
- Marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Next day cook chicken for 20 minutes or until done. Burn all water on high flame. Sear (bhunna) the chicken for few minutes on high flame. Your chicken is ready.
- Mix all ingredient of sauce and keep ready. Before serving, heat the chicken fully , pour the sauce and mix. Cover the chicken cook for few minutes. Do not over cook.
- Steam vegetables and add to the chicken. You can also smoke this chicken at this stage with a piece of red-hot coal and few drops of oil.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, mustard and red chilli. Let red chillies turn dark then pour tempering over the chicken.
- Serve with garnishing of your choice.