Bohri Biryani Recipe with photos of each step.
Bohri biryani is one of the various delicious biryani of Pakistan made by Dawoodi bohra community. What makes bohra biryani different is that it is comparatively less spicy than Hyderabadi biryani or Sindhi biryani. Instead of red chillies and grounded garam masala, it uses green chilies for heat and whole garam masala (mixed spices) for aroma.
This is a juicy biryani recipe. Senior adults and kids would love this bohra biryani for it has all the flavors and heat of biryani with health-friendly and kids friendly spices. Serve this biryani with green chutney or raita and kachumbar salad.
My other similar recipes.
How to make Chicken Biryani (bohra style):
Bohra Biryani Recipe
- ¾ kg (6 medium) sliced onions
- ½ kg (4 medium) potato – ,peeled and cut in large chunks
- 8-12 small green chilli – or 2 tablespoon green chilies paste
- 2 inch piece ginger – or 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 6 garlic cloves – or 1 tablspoon garlic paste
- 4 black cloves – (laung)
- 10 black pepper corns – (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 tablespoon cumin – (sabut zeera)
- 2-3 green cardamom – (choti elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom – (bari elaichi)
- 1 big bay leaf – (teej patta)
- 2 inch stick cinnamon – (dal cheeni)
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder – (dhanya) powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric – (hald)i powder
- 1 kg chicken pieces – 1 full chicken pieces
- ½ kg (5 medium) chopped tomato
- 3-4 dried plum – aloo bukhara
- ½ cup yogurt – dahi
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 3-4 medium green chilies
- a pinch of saffron – dissolved in 2 tbs water.
- 1½ cup oil
- salt to taste
Ingredients for rice
- ¾ kg basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin – sabut zeera
- 6-8 black pepper – sabut kali mirch
- salt to taste
Steps for Prepping
- Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet take oil, fry onions till golden brown, dish out on kitchen towel and crush them with hands or mixer.
- In the same skillet using same oil of onions, fry potatoes till golden. Dish out and set aside.
- Make green paste of chili, garlic and ginger called green masala. Set aside.
Step for Chicken Gravy
- Take out extra oil from skillet leaving only 3 tbs. (this extra oil will be used later)
- In this oil on low flame, add dry whole spices (green cardamom, black cardamom, cumin, bay leaf, cinnamon, pepper and clove), fry lightly to release flavors.
- Now, add powdered spices (coriander and turmeric ), stir a little and add green masala and salt, fry for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and fry till the color of chicken changes, add chopped or pureed tomatoes, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- After five minutes, add fried, crushed onions, cover and cook for 15 minutes till chicken is tender.
- Add yogurt and plum, let simmer to reduce water. The gravy will be thick but not fully dried.
- Add fried potatoes, chilies and coriander.
Steps For Rice
- On step 9, while chicken is cooking, fill a large vessel in which we will make biryani ( 12 inch diameter measuring from inside) more than half with water, add whole spices and salt.(check notes for tip). Bring water to boil.
- Once the water is boiled add soaked rice and cook for 7-10 mins, we will not fully cook but use half cooked rice(1 kanni left ). Strain the water from rice when 70% cooked.
Steps For Assembling
- Now in the rice pot add 2 tbsp of extra oil that we had saved and smear it on the base, add 3/4 of rice in the pot. Add layer of chicken gravy, spreading chicken and potatoes evenly. Add a layer of remaining rice.
- On top add dissolved saffron and remaining extra oil of onion. (Cover tightly to keep steam entrapped, put it for dum for 15 minutes.
- Biryani is ready to serve.