This recipe is truly worth the effort of making homemade coconut ice cream. You need just 6 ingredients to make this no-churn ice cream. One of the ingredients is chocolate shavings or chocolate chip which this ice cream bounty like heavenly taste and pleasure.
Bounty Coconut ice cream is inspired by bounty chocolate (Wikipedia). It is a rich coconut flavored ice cream with milk chocolate shavings or chocolate chip and shredded coconut. There are many versions of homemade coconut ice cream. I bet that my version is more pantry friendly and bursting with coconut flavor.
If you love bounty chocolate, you'll find this bounty ice cream to be a divine pleasure. There are many different versions in fact my aunt makes very good coconut ice cream but I wanted to create a recipe that is
- creamy and scoop-able
- has easily available ingredients,
- is not too dense
- and at the same time very flavorful
- and unique.
I tested this ice cream recipe with condensed milk twice and got an overwhelming response from family and guests on the second try. The taste of this ice cream is enriched with coconut flavor and is very creamy. This recipe is truly worth the effort of making homemade bounty ice cream. Very rich and decadent.
There are a few recipes that I share after a lot of thought processes, planning, and testing. And most importantly with a lot of passion and excitement. This ice cream is one such example of my love of food blogging.
Why this recipe is best?
- Like typical no-churn ice cream, in this recipe, whipped cream and condensed milk does the magic to lift the ice cream without forming icicles. I’m using coconut water to mix coconut milk powder that gives a load of coconut flavor without adding too much moisture.
- The finely grated chocolate unlike chocolate chip floats in the mixture without sinking. The grated chocolate also mingles with the coconut flavor without overpowering it. Clever, isn’t it?
- I used the same no-churn ice cream trick in this recipe as I used in my mango ice cream, plum ice cream, and, peach ice cream.
All the six-ingredient are visible in the below ingredient shot.
- Heavy cream and condensed milk make a no-churn ice cream base. While we are using coconut water ( I used packed), coconut milk powder (I used Maggi), and desiccated coconut for a rich coconut flavor.
- I used Cadbury dairy milk chocolate and grated it with a grater. Do not get tempted to grind it in a processor as the chocolate with melt due to the heat of the machine and will cling together. If using chocolate chips, make sure to use tiny ones so they don't sink at the bottom.
- Desiccated coconut: is finely shredded and dried coconut. It helps give a bounty-like texture to the ice cream. You can also use shredded coconut or just skip it.
- Coconut water: This cream-condensed base is heavy, the coconut water helps lighten the density at the same time adding more coconut flavor with savory tones. Use fresh or bottled 100% pure coconut water. You can substitute it with milk and a pinch of salt.
- Coconut milk powder: This is the most important ingredient in the recipe. I won't recommend switching it as it will disturb the whole balance of the recipe. See the Recipe FAQ section for fresh coconut variations.
How to make it?
Making bounty coconut ice cream is super easy and simple!
- In a bowl, take coconut water, desiccated coconut, and coconut milk powder. Mix well.
- Now add condensed milk and mix again until smooth. This might need some effort.
- Take chilled heavy cream in a large bowl.
- Beat it with an electric beater until it doubles in volume and reaches stiff peak firmness. Protip: A stiff peak stage is when you remove the whisk of the electric beater, the cream peaks remain firm and don't melt into smoothness.
- Add coconut mixture to the cream.
- Add chocolate shaving. Mix by folding and try not to over-mix. We do not want to deflate the air in the cream.
- Transfer to a container with a lid. Cover the surface of ice cream with butter paper or cling wrap and freeze. The butter paper must touch the surface of the ice cream so icicles do not form on the surface.
- Chill the ice cream preferably overnight or for at least 4-6 hours until firm. Remove ice cream from the freezer and let it thaw for 15 minutes. Then you can scoop it and serve it as you like. I used an empty coconut shell to serve.
Just check those beautiful scoops and the texture of desiccated coconut and grated chocolate. And do not miss those rich creamy drips.
If making this Ice cream with fresh coconut, blend 1 cup of packed tender coconut flesh (Aka Naryal ki malai) with 1 cup of coconut water. Use this instead of coconut milk powder and desiccated coconut in a coconut mixture. Follow the rest of the recipe as it is.
Without chocolate, this recipe will make delicious coconut ice cream. Adding chocolate shavings makes this bounty ice cream.
If you try this homemade coconut ice cream recipe, I'd LOVE to hear your feedback in the comments. Your 5-ratings motivate me to do my best. Stay connected for more recipes and videos on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Youtube.
Homemade Coconut Ice Cream Recipe (Bounty)
- ¾ cup coconut water, or milk
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 100 gram coconut milk powder, 100 grams= 1 cup approx tapped a few times.
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 75 gm finely grated milk chocolate, like Dairy milk or Galaxy
- In a bowl, take coconut water, desiccated coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and coconut milk powder. Mix well until smooth. Set aside.
- Take chilled heavy cream in a large bowl. Beat it with an electric beater until it doubles in volume and reaches stiff peak firmness.
- Add coconut mixture and grated chocolate to the whipped cream. Mix by folding and try not to over mix.
- Transfer to a container with a lid. Cover the surface of ice cream with butter paper or cling wrap and freeze. The butter paper must touch the surface of the ice cream.
- Chill the coconut ice cream preferably overnight or for at least 4-6 hours until firm. Remove ice cream from the freezer and let it thaw for 15 minutes. Then you can scoop it and serve it.