Step by step easy Khao Soi recipe with Photos of each step. This is not an authentic recipe which calls for a meat curry and a separate coconut curry. Instead, I have made one simple but equally delicious curry that is both quick and practical. Yes, I combined goodness of both curry in one pot — super quick and yummy!
Khao Soi is Burmese main course. It consist of noodles, meat curry, coconut curry and a variety of condiments. The dish requires some time to cook but it’s worth the pain as it’s so delicious and yummy.
You can also check my other post of Bohra Khao Soi in which I discussed a variety of condiments and spices.
How to make Khao soi recipe from Scratch
Burmese Khao Soi Recipe
- Oil to fry – (about 1 cup)
- 3 onions – , thinly sliced
- 1 whole garlic – , chopped
- 500 grams chicken – ,cut in small cubes
- 4 whole red button chillies
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon crushed chillies
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- salt – or to taste
- 3 medium tomatoes – ( raw puree)
- 75 gram coconut milk powder – (or 3 cups light coconut milk)
- 6 tablespoon gram flour
- 4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 chicken cube
- 1 ½ packet egg noodles – (375 gram, boiled)
- Hot sauce
- Potato sticks
- Lemon wedges
- Sliced green onions
- Boiled eggs
Prepare Garnish (Fried Galic and onions)
- In a large pot, fry garlic until golden. Remove from oil and set aside.
- In same oil, fry onion slices until golden. Remove from oil and set aside.
- Remove all oil from pot leaving only 2 tablespoons , add half of fried onion, chicken and all ingredients in spice list. Mix well, cover and cook for 10 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Add tomato purée and mix well.
- Now, mix coconut milk powder, gram flour, lemon juice and 2 cups water in a bowl. Then add to the chicken.
- Also add a chicken cube and 3-4 cups water. Let the curry simmer until oil separates.
- To serve take warm noodles in bowl top with curry and accompaniments of your choice. Enjoy.