Step by step recipe of cauliflower onion salad with photos. These days, I’m doing a series of simple salads posts with one major vegetable ingredients. The point is that in everyday’s chaos no one has time to buy a myriad of vegetables and sauces and put them in salad. Or while making your favorite salad you run short on ingredients. Sometime, your ingredients are not fresh and salad needs fresh and crunchy veggies.
So simple quick recipes of salads with one major ingredients are handy for healthy lifestyle and for weight watchers. And you don’t get bored with these salads as everyday you are having different salad with not only different dressing but different ingredients.
This cauliflower and onion salad is a simple salad and can be prepared in less than 10 minutes. Cauliflowers get rotten very quickly so best way to store them is to steam them and store in air tight jar in a fridge. Then use within three days. So when my cauliflowers are steamed, the salad making is a quick business.
Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is an anti-cancer vegetable like broccoli. It is rich in calcium and vitamin A and K. It is also anti inflammatory and anti oxidant, which makes it great for boosting immune system, heart health and overall body appearance.
My other salads are
How to make Cauliflower onion salad
Cauliflower and Onion Salad
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ¾ kilogram cauliflower – ,each floret cut into thick slices (phool gobi)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- ¾ teaspoon mustard seed – (kali rai)
- 1 medium onion – sliced
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Steam cauliflower with water and salt in a pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove cauliflower in a plate. In the same pan pour oil, add garlic and mustard seed.Fry for 1 minute until garlic is golden and mustard seed crackles.
- Now add onions, red chili powder and cumin powder.
- Stir and add steamed cauliflower. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add sugar and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Serve immediately or chill in the fridge before serving.