Step by step Chinioti Mutton Kunna recipe with photos of each step.
Kunna is punjabi dish from the city of Chiniot in Punjab. Chiniot is famous for hand crafted furniture and Kunna. This is not original recipe of kunna, this recipe is adapted for easy home cooking with few more spices. The original kunna recipe has very few ingredients like mutton, green chillies, garlic, ginger and onion.
In Punjabi language an earthen pot is called ‘Kun-na’ or ‘Mat-ka’. That’s why this curry is also called ‘Matka gosht (gosht means meat.) The technique is of slow, underground cooking. You put all ingredients in kunna pot and place the sealed pot in the soil. Then lit a bonfire on the soil above the pot. The distant heat cooks the meat for 4-6 hours and make it very tender. Originally, kunna is made mutton shank or mutton leg cut in pieces. But with innovation and increase in demand, kunna is made commercially with beef, chicken and lamb too.
I’ve made kunna in regular pot on stove but the taste is delicious. It is somewhat similar too Nihari. I personally felt it is very easy to cook and a great escape from regular mutton stew.
My other recipes
How to make Chinioti Mutton Kunna Recipe
Chinioti Mutton Kunna recipe
- 750 gram Mutton – (preferably mutton leg with bones, cut in pieces)
- ⅓ to ½ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon black cumin – (shah zeera)
- 6-8 black pepper
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 large black cardamom
- 1 large onion – ,thinly slices (or 1/2 cup fried onions.)
- 1 tablespoon green chilli paste
- 1½ tablespoon ginger/garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli – (added for red color)
- ½-1 teaspoon red chilli powder – , less or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt – to taste
- ½ cup wheat flour
- ½ cup yogurt – , whipped
- 1 tablespoon butter – , optional
- Water – as required
- Ginger – cut into julienne
- Lemon – wedges
- Mix wheat flour with 1 cup water to form a batter without any lumps. Set aside.
- Fry whole spices in oil until it crackle. Immediately add onion slices and fry further on low flame for 10 minutes with occasional stirring.
- After 10 minutes when onion are really soft, fry further on medium to high flame until light golden. Mix in grounded spices, stir for few seconds, then mix in mutton pieces. Cook on medium heat for another 5-10 minutes until oil separates.
- Pour wheat batter in the mutton gravy. Mix well and add another cup of water. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until oil separates.
- Next, mix in yogurt and 2 cups water. Close the pot with a tight lid and cook on medium heat until meat is very soft and coming off the bones. Add butter (if using) in the last and garnish with ginger.
- Serve with hot naan and lemon wedges.
Step by step Chinioti Mutton kunna recipe
Mix wheat flour and water in a bowl to form a smooth batter. Set aside.
Crackle whole spices in oil and add 1 large onion sliced.
Fry onions slices on low heat for 10 minutes so they are really soft. Then increase heat and fry them until light golden.
Mix meat in the onion.
And grounded spices. And cook meat on medium to high heat for 7-10 minutes with constant stirring until oil separates. (This is called bhunna and gives amazing flavour to South Asian cooking).
When oil has separated add wheat batter. Give it a stir.
Add 1 cup water and cook further fo few minutes.
When you see batter is also cooked and oil is rising from sides add whipped yogurt.
Add about two cups water or as much required to cook meat and make gravy. Cover the pot with a tight lid and cook for 1-2 hour until meat is very tender and coming off the bones.
I added a spoon of butter, this is optional.
Pin this image for later reference!
Like, Comment, Subscribe to let us know your opinion and request. We are working everyday to bring best taste with easiest recipe.