I’m super excited to share this cream of spinach soup recipe. I got this recipe from a dear friend. And my family is almost in love with it, even my 9 years old picky eater loves it. My hubby calls it a perfect soup taste.
Texture of cream of spinach soup
What else? The spinach and cream gives this soup natural thickness so you do not have to add potato or flours to make it thick. The texture of this soup is of melted butter that is thin but not watery. Something that you can have in a cup while watching your favourite show. If you want thick soup then you’ll have to make béchamel or white sauce base and mix soup in it. But, I don’t recommend that since this soup taste great as it is.
I kept the cream a little as possible in recipe and substituted most of it with milk for low-calorie, healthy and creamy spinach soup.
What makes this best cream of spinach soup is corn and chicken broth. I used homemade chicken broth that I made with 1 whole chicken bones, 1 onion and 1 whole corn with cobs (sliced in 1 inch disc), salt and few pepper corns. But you may use just store chicken broth or chicken stock made with chicken stock cubes mixed in water.
Is spinach good in soup?
Spinach is a low-calories and high nutrient green. As spinach is slightly bitter and has strong taste. Raw spinach doesn’t taste as good as cooked spinach so you can’t consume a lot of it. Like, you can easily eat 100 grams (that makes ½ cup ) of cooked spinach in one sitting compared raw spinach (that makes 3½ cups).
One particular reason spinach is better in soup is when you cook raw spinach in soup all nutrients stay in the soup. While other main course recipes calls for discarding cooked spinach water which is complete waste of nutrients. (You can find more info about spinach here at live strong).
How to add fresh spinach in soup?
Fresh spinach: If using fresh spinach for soup, make sure you wash it in a large pot and let the dust particles settle in bottom of the pot. Leave spinach soaked for a minute. Then pick spinach leaves from the top. Repeat the process once more if needed. Then remove thick stem from the leaves.
Then put spinach leaves along with water or chicken stock in a pot and cover with lid. Cook spinach until it gets soft and wilted. (about 7-10 minutes) Now, you can use this spinach in any soup as needed.
Can I use frozen spinach in soup?
If using frozen spinach thaw it, so you can easily blend it with chicken broth. You can also heat frozen spinach with chicken broth or water (as recipe calls) in a pot to thaw it.
How to make cream of spinach soup?
This soup is super easy to make! Have a look at the ingredients.
Chicken stock: You can use homemade or store brought chicken broth/stock. I used homemade chicken stock in which I added one whole chicken bones, 1 onion, 1 corn on the cob ( sliced ), salt and few pepper corns. Here’s my chicken stock recipe.
Spinach. Use 1 cup frozen spinach or 200 grams fresh spinach. Thaw spinach before blending. You can also heat spinach and chicken stock in a pot to thaw frozen spinach.
- Step 1: Blend frozen spinach with chicken stock or chicken broth for 1 minute until very smooth. You can also use an immersion blender. Then transfer the spinach puree to a pot and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Step 2: Now, add milk, cream, sugar and sweet corns.
- Step 3: Mix well and simmer soup for another 5-10 minutes on very low heat until you see some oil on top layer.
- Step 4: Adding chicken cube or chicken powder is optional. Do a taste test and add salt and pepper as needed. You can adjust consistency of soup by adding water if you like thiner soup. (1 added one extra cup of water.)
Want more soup recipes?
- Chicken corn soup
- Chicken almond cream soup
- Cucumber soup with coconut milk
- Cream of pea soup
- Check soup archive here.
Cream of Spinach Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth, I used homemade
- 1 cup frozen spinach , or 200 gm fresh spinach (see notes)
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sweet corn, canned or frozen
- ½ cup cream
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chicken powder or 1 chicken cube, optional
- Salt , to taste only if needed as chicken broth and chicken cube has added salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Blend frozen spinach with 2 cups of chicken stock in a food processor until really smooth.
- Add this purée and remaining chicken stock to a pot and bring it to boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Now reduce heat and add all the remaining ingredients. Mix well and continue to simmer soup on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Do a taste test and adjust salt and pepper if needed. You can also adjust consistency of soup by adding 1 cup water.
- Soup is ready to serve. Serve with extra cream and croutons.