This Date roll recipe will steal your heart and is perfect for any festive celebration like Christmas, Easter or Eid. What makes this date nut roll even amazing is that it has, no gluten, no eggs, no sugar. It is absolutely vegan, healthy and nutritious. Because it is naturally sweetened with dates and enriched with nutrients from nuts, these make a great pre-workout snack for instant energy. Check more benefits of dates here.
This gluten-free date roll recipe was first shared with me by my aunt. These are usually served at festive gatherings to greet guests. They are also called dates and nut roll, almond date roll or dates salami, dates burfi, khajoor ki barfi, or khajoor roll.
What is Date Roll Recipe?
Date roll or dates roll is a log of dates and nuts rolled tightly with the help of baking paper or cling wrap. The date roll log is then cut in to slice like a salami and served. It can be eaten as energy bites or snack. They are often served on festive occasions.
Best Dates for Date Rolls Recipe
The main ingredient of this recipe is the dates so try to use Medjool dates of good quality. The taste of date roll depends on the taste of dates. We want chewy, soft dates for this recipe. If your dates are mushy soft, the roll will not form properly and you have to add biscuit or something to absorb moisture. If your dates are too dry and dense then add little moisture like butter or margarine. So try to select the best dates for this date roll recipe.
Tips for variations
Variations for this recipe are endless, you can fully customize it with the aroma of your choice. I have provided a recipe for Indian style Date roll that I'm familiar with. But can make as many variations you like and steal the recipe. 🙂
- Roll the date and nut mixture into balls instead of a bar and coat it with desiccated coconut, biscuit powder, or rice crispies, or anything.
- You can add any nuts of your choice just remember to keep the ratio of dates and nuts 2:1. That is two parts of pitted and chopped dates for 1 part of mixed nuts.
- Some spices that can enhance the aroma of date roll are cardamom, saffron, cinnamon, orange, or lemon. Instead of cardamom powder, you can add any of these spices or zest.
- Other options for add-ons are wheat biscuits, chocolate, cocoa powder, roasted poppy seeds, roasted oats, and pine nuts, etc.
Troubleshooting tips for Dates and Nut Roll
- If your dates are very chewy and hard. Soak dates for a few seconds in water to get softened. No need generally.
- If your dates mixture appears are too dry and don't come together to roll. Add a little margarine or butter during cooking of dates to soften.
- If your dates and nuts mixture is too moist and mushy. You may add 1-2 tablespoon spoons of crushed wheat biscuits or oats to make it denser and easy to roll.
What makes these best treats for guests in the festive season?
Usually, in the festive season, people are visiting too many relatives the whole day long. All hosts are serving drinks, desserts, or snacks and guests feel too full to eat anything at all. Sometimes, my guest would just ask us politely to serve nothing and just spend some good time chatting. The date roll cookie is always welcomed and it is a bite-size presentable goody that can be served hassle-free. Since they are gluten-free and vegan, they meet everyone one's diet requirement. Check these fudgy vegan brownies too, so decadent.
Setting a tray for guests with assorted sweets is a great way to show off your skills. We usually make some date rolls, kharak, some sort of truffles (like coconut balls or brownie balls, or Oreo balls) some dry fruits, chocolates, and this tray makes a welcoming and impressive gesture for guests.
Frequently Asked Question:
The date roll is the best store in the fridge. They stay good in the freezer for up to a month or in the freezer for 3 months or more. You can store it on the counter for 2-3 days. But it tastes best when cold.
Dates are an instant and natural source of glucose which makes it an excellent source of energy on an empty stomach and around workouts. Dates are high in fibre and high in anti-oxidants. Dates promote your overall health.
3-4 dates can be consumed daily. As dates are high in carbohydrates, consuming too many dates can cause weight gain. About one slice of date roll contains 1 date.
The climate of the Middle East region is most suitable for the production of data. The dates from the country of Saudi Arabia are considered best. Ajwa dates are considered top-notch quality dates.
Want more goodies? Check these to satisfy cravings.
- Oreo Condensed Milk Balls
- Brownie Balls
- Coconut and condensed milk balls
- Salted Caramel Brownies
- Dried Date sweet (Kharak)
- Dried Dates balls
Date Roll Recipe, deliciously healthy!
- ¼ cup almond, chopped
- ¼ cup cashew, chopped
- 2 tablespoon pistachio, chopped
- 2 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 cup pitted dates, about 30, roughly chopped
- ½ tablespoon butter or ghee
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- Take all the chopped nut in a pan and dry roast for 30 second on medium heat until lightly toasted. Add sesame seeds and roast for another few seconds. Remove nuts to a plate and set aside.
- In same pan add butter and chopped dates. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes until soft keep mixing with spatula. Add raisin, roasted nuts and cardamom powder to dates and cook further for a minutes. Remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool enough to handle. Then mix further with hands (if needed).
- Remove dates mixture on cling wrap and roll it into a log. Keep log in fridge and cut slices of date as required. Serve cold.