This dates roll recipe was first shared by my aunt. These are usually served at Eid up Fitr gatherings. They are also called dates and nut roll or dates salami , khajoor ki barfi or khajoor ki mithai. This sweet has no sugar and is naturally sweetened with dates. It is also gluten free, vegan, healthy and nutritious.
You can also take these as a pre workout snack in the morning for instant energy. These also make a great choice at Iftar.
Why I serve these to my guest on Eid?
Usually on Eid people are visiting too many relatives whole day long. Everybody serves drinks, desserts or snacks and you feel too full to eat anything at all. Sometimes, my guest would just ask us politely to serve nothing and just spend some good time chatting. These little sweet are always welcomed and seem bite size presentable goodies that can be served hassle free.
Another reason is secret one but I’m sharing with you. I love setting my guest trays with assorted sweets. Thanks to my sweet tooth, I often end up ignoring snacks altogether.
So on we make Eid some date rolls, some Kharak, some sort of truffles (like Kharak balls or brownie ball, or Oreo ball) some dry fruits, chocolates and this tray makes a welcoming as well impressive gesture for guest.
- You can also roll them into ball instead of a bar.
- You can add any nuts of your choice just remember to keep the ratio of dates and nuts 2:1. That is two part of pitted and chopped dates for 1 part of mixed nuts or you can soak dates for a few second in water to get softened. But do it only if your date are very chewy and hard.
- If your dates are too dry you may add a little extra ghee or butter during cooking of dates to soften.
- If your dates are too moist and soft. You may add 1-2 tablespoon spoons of crushed wheat biscuits to make it denser and easy to roll.
- Use best quality dates.
- Other options for add on are wheat biscuits, chocolate, cocoa powder, roasted poppy seeds, roasted oats and pine nuts etc.
My other similar recipes
Dried Date sweet (Kharak)
How to make dates roll recipe
If you try this recipe or any other recipe from my site, please share on social media with #loveRecipe52 or tag us on Facebook and Instagram @recipe52.
- ¼ cup almond chopped
- ¼ cup cashew chopped
- 2 tablespoon pistachio chopped
- 2 tablespoon walnuts chopped
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 cup pitted dates about 30, roughly chopped
- ½ tablespoon butter or ghee
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- Take all the chopped nut in a pan and dry roast for 30 second on medium heat until lightly toasted. Add sesame seeds and roast for another few seconds. Remove nuts to a plate and set aside.
- In same pan add butter and chopped dates. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes until soft keep mixing with spatula. Add raisin, roasted nuts and cardamom powder to dates and cook further for a minutes. Remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool enough to handle. Then mix further with hands (if needed).
- Remove dates mixture on cling wrap and roll it into a log. Keep log in fridge and cut slices of date as required. Serve cold.
Pin this image for later reference!
Like, Comment, Subscribe to let us know your opinion and request. We are working everyday to bring best taste with easiest recipe.
Pin It, Watsapp, Share! Let everyone know you discovered this amazing recipe. SHARING IS CARING!