Step by step recipe of Dried Dates pudding Recipe | Chuara Pudding |Kharak Pudding with Photos of each step. This is a simple dessert since dates are dried the soaking takes some time. Otherwise, the process is super simple. The pudding tastes great and it doesn't have an overwhelming date taste.
I've been making this dessert for years, everyone loves it. But it's not as decadent as many other desserts like Cold Cake. It has a soft, moist texture. Pudding needs to be reasonably sweet, since the cream we use is plain and not sweetened. Chocolate topping and roasted nuts really add to the flavor. I've used almonds in the pictorial but I usually use walnuts.
You can also make caramel, dried fig and coconut pudding similarly. I've tried all of these, I'll post a separate recipe for coconut and egg pudding. Both are delicious. Dried fig or Injeer is liked by few so you can follow same recipe with 15 dried figs, if you like injeer.
Pudding tips for beginners
- I've made this dessert in the oven but you can make it on a double boiler too just like egg pudding.
- The general rule for setting a pudding is to use 1 egg for 1 cup prepared liquid.
- First, make a creamy mixture as per your taste. Then measure it in a cup and add eggs according. So by making few changes in this recipe you can make coconut, dried fig, caramel, and saffron pudding.
- I always share these tips so you understand the technique develop your own cooking skills
How to make Dried Dates pudding recipe | Kharak Pudding
Wash dates thoroughly. Bring milk to boil , then add dates and soak overnight. Keep milk in the fridge when milk cools.
The dates have puffed. Remove dates from milk. Remove seeds from dates. (Tip; Preheat your oven at 350 F.)
Blend dates with the remaining milk ( that we used for soaking). Blend it really smooth.
Beat eggs till they are fluffy. Add beaten eggs to dates and milk mixture.
Add condensed milk too. Mix well ( and taste if in case you want it sweeter add more condensed milk or icing sugar to taste).
Grease first then pour the pudding mixture.
Bake at 350 F for 40-50 minute. (Tip: If you bake it in a small dish, baking time will be 25-30 minutes.)
Insert knife to check donenes. The dish is set. Let the mould cool before turning out.
You can see a small crack and that's OK. It can be hidden under the cream.
Fill the center with cream and drizzle more cream over sides. Finally, make any pattern with chocolate syrup and garnish with nuts.
Dried Dates Pudding Recipe
- 15 dried dates, Kharak , Chuara
- ½ litre milk
- 3 egg
- ½ can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup cream
- ¼ cup chocolate syrup, chocolate syrup recipe in notes
- 5-6 walnut or almond
- Wash dates thoroughly.
- Bring milk to boil and add dates. Switch off heat and soak dates overnight. (Keep in fridge when milk cools.)
- When dates are fully puffed. Remove seeds and blend dates with remaining milk until very smooth.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add to the dates mixture.
- Next mix in condensed milk.
- Grease the 6 inch bundt cake mold with butter and pour the mixture in tin. ( You can also use a 1 litre dish, it will bake in 25 minutes only.)
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 40 minutes or until set.
- By switching dates for dried fig and adjusting condensed milk to taste you can make a fig pudding as well.