Step by step easy Mincemeat Pie Recipe with photos of each step.
I know, I know, I have already shared a Lagan ki Seekh or traditional Bohra mincemeat pie recipe. I'll tell you the story of this pie.
When my mom saw this old recipe, she clearly remarked that authentic Lagan ki Seekh has potatoes in it and no bread. You add bread in mince cutlets and not in Lagan ki seekh. So, since that day, I had to try her version.
A friend had asked me to bake old style Bohra mincemeat pie for him. So, I called my mom and asked her the recipe and emphasized, that I want to know how Granny (Dadi) made it. So that's my Dadi's recipe.
What it tastes like?
This Lagan ki Seekh set better than other recipe with no liquid. It bakes quickly as well and it is comparatively more soft.
Like always, I stuck to homemade spices but if you like spicy food than you may add a tablespoon of Seekh kabab masala to it, here's a recipe of homemade masala but store-bought is also fine. After doing a taste test with a small patties in pan , you can decide what spices or spice mix you wish to add or you may stick to this original version.
I know, you'd be asking can we use pre-fried onions and boiled potatoes so we can skip the frying part. Yes! That's fine too. But, I recommended fried potatoes.
Other mincemeat recipes.
Step by step recipe of easy mincemeat pie recipe
Fry peeled and cubed potatoes on medium flame until golden. (Also add a pinch of salt in oil.)
With a slotted spoon remove potatoes to kitchen towel.
In same oil fry sliced onions.
It makes about half cup tightly packed. (You may use store-bought onions.)
Mix spices, fried and mashed potatoes, fried and crushed onions and clarified butter in meat-mince. Mix well.
Also add 1 egg and fresh coriander. Mix well.
Grease a dish with oil and pre-heat oven at 180 C or gas mark 4.
Spread mince meat evenly in the dish and garnish.
Beat 4 eggs with a thick pinch of salt and ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder.
Spoon beaten eggs over the mince.
Heat ¼ cup oil from the same oil (the one in which we fried onions and potatoes) until smoking hot.
Pour hot oil over the eggs.
Bake in oven for 30 minutes on middle shelf.
Serve with ketchup or chilli garlic sauce.
So do you like this recipe. I'm waiting to read your comments. Do you have a better recipe? Send us here.
Lagan ki seekh (gluten free)
- 500 grams meat mince, mutton or beef
- Oil , to fry
- 1 large onion, golden fried or ½ cup fried onions
- 3 potato, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 tablespoon green chilli paste
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, more for eggs
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, roasted and grounded
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, roasted and grounded
- ½ teaspoon salt, more for eggs
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter , or ghee
- 3 tablespoon coriander, chopped
- 5 egg, divided
- Ketchup or chilli garlic sauce
- Pre-heat oven at 180 C or gas mark 4.
- Deep fry potatoes in wok till golden on medium heat. Absorb excess oil on a kitchen towel, then mash the potatoes and set aside.
- Fry onions in same oil (skip frying if using fried onions) and crushed them in a grinder or with hands. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add mince, mashed potatoes, crushed onion, 1 egg and all ingredients of list 1. Mix well.
- Grease a dish with oil and spread the meatmince in the dish evenly.
- Beat remaining 4 eggs in a bowl and season with a pinch of salt and ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder. Spoon eggs over the mincemeat.
- Now, heat ¼ cup of oil (in which onion and pities were fried) until smoking hot then spoon all over the eggs.
- Bake dish for 25-30 minutes in the oven until eggs are cooked.
- Cut in six pieces. Enjoy with chilli garlic sauce and/or ketchup.