Step by Step Easy Moong masoor daal Recipe Well, well, well ! This is my first post of any Daal (Lentil Curry) on the blog. And to be honest, I never had any intention to add a daal category on the blog.
May be, in my opinion daal is so simple to make, why would anyone need it's recipe. But I was wrong. One of my followers was requesting a daal recipe for almost 6 months and I had no choice but to post it. I must thank him as I just loved making this daal for blog.
For me, daal is LAZY day lunch. Soothing, comforting and super easy. My mom would make this daal whenever our cook took an off between working days. Like, she would just boil the lentil and go to work. After school, I would add the tempering.
Tips of making Moong Masoor Dal
- I used a mix of yellow and red lentils im equa; proportions. But actually you can use just red lentil (250 gram) or just yellow lentil (250 gram) and follow the recipe as it is.
- You can skip soaking but soaking makes the lentil get really tender.
- Daal also makes delicious soup. It is usually served with rice, lemon pickle and fresh kachumber salad.
How to make Kaboli?
Smoked Kaboli taste so yum, its a next level daal experience.
You can mix roti ( broken in small bites) rice, sliced onion and lots of daal in bowl. Then smoke it. (To smoke: Keep red hot charcoal on a foil, over daal roti mixture. Then pour few drops of oil and cover lid immediately to trap smoke. Keep the bowl covered for 5 minutes. Serve with more daal and your favourite pickle.Enjoy. (I'll try to discuss this in separate post inshallah.)
If you like such easy one pot, dump in all ingredients then slow cook recipes, check out these two super easy and delicious recipes. (I keep my every cooking really convenient and easy.)
If you love dal, do check Sarah's Lentil Cauliflower Curry, it's so creamy.
Easy Moong Masoor Daal Recipe
Rinse both lentils and soak in 4 cups warm water for 30 minutes.
After soaking, in same water, add tomatoes, onions, and all ingredients of Spices list. Cover the lid and boil for 20 minutes on medium heat or until very soft.
I like to remove skin of tomatoes with a fork but you can skip it.
Mash the daal with a potato masher for 5 minutes until it looks like a puree. (Traditionally, a GHOTNA tool is used to mash DAAL or HALEEM)
That's what the daal looks like.
Add tamarind pulp. (You can substitute tamarind pulp with lemon juice.)
Add more water to daal, if needed, to reach desired consistency.
In thick bottomed pan, fry onion slices on medium until golden.
When onions are golden add all ingredients of tempering. Give all of it a stir, and fry for a minutes.
Add tempering to daal pot. Cover the lid and simmer daal for 10 minutes on lowest heat. (You can save some tempering for garnish if you like.)
Finally, add freshly chopped coriander /cilantro leaves. And serve.
My other Pakistani curries.
Easy Mung Masoor Daal Recipe
- 125 grams red lentils, (or ½ cup plus 2 tablespoon)
- 125 grams yellow lentils, (or ½ cup plus 2 tablespoon)
- 4 cups water, more as required.
- 1 onion, cut in four pieces
- 2 to tomatoes, cut in four pieces
- ¾ tablespoon green chilli paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder, (garam masala)
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ½ tablespoon tamarind pulp, or 2-3 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup oil, or less
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ inch chopped ginger
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 green chillies, cut in half
- 3 twig curry leaves, optional
- A pinch turmeric
- Rinse and soak both lentils in 4 cups warm water for 30 minutes.
- In a pot take soaked lentil with water, add onions, tomatoes and all spices. Bring it to boil then cover the pot. Cook for 20 minutes on medium heat until very soft.
- With a potato meshed mesh lentil for 5 minutes until it form a puree. Add water as required until desired consistency is reached. Now, add tamarind pulp and continue to cook on low heat.
- In a another pan, fry onions until light golden, then add all ingredients of tempering and fry for 1 minutes.
- Add tempering to lentils pot and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Finally, garnish with coriander and serve.