Step by step recipe of fresh green pea soup with photos.
Winters are best time of year when fresh green pea (also called matar in Urdu) that are sweeter, softer compared to frozen ones, are easily available. So make some soup to add this yummy vegetable to your diet. Children love boiled and salted green pea. Apart from soup you can add green peas to matar pulao and mixed vegetable curry.
Did you know green pea are actually fruit and not vegetables? They are seeds that grow from flowers. So they categorise as fruit. While vegetables are other part of plant, like leaves, bulb, root, stem and flower. Isn’t it interesting?
Green pea are great source of protein, anti-oxidants (good for immune system and anti ageing, Vitamin K (good for bones). They are great for heart and sugar regulation.
This Matar soup tastes yummy and unique. Color is not very tempting to be honest. For taste, I felt, it tastes great without cream as well as with cream. So cream is optional. The taste of soup is balanced and not sour or sweet. So if someone has sore throat or just feeling low. This soup can work like a medicine.
My other soup recipes
How to make fresh green pea soup?
Fresh green pea soup with chicken stock
- 1 ½ cup fresh green pea
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tin corn
- water – as/if needed
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- ½ cup cream – , optional
- Boil fresh pea in 1 cup water and salt.
- Let the peas cool then blend with water to form a thin liquid and set aside for later.
- Saute flour and garlic in butter and oil on low flame for 1 minute. Then pour chicken stock slowly, little at a time and mixing constantly to avoid lumps formation.
- Pour in remaining chicken stock, blended pea mixture, salt, pepper and corns. Bring it to boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Finally, mix in cream and serve hot.