Fried Potatoes recipe, Arabic Style with photos.
These fries are served as a starter in Lebanon and Yemen. So, I named them Arabic.
These are super easy and yummy fries. We have it as a side with roasted Mutton or with Pulao or mandi.
This can also make yummy starter. What makes it absolute amazing is, it needs just few spices. As we alway keep a bottle of roasted and grounded cumin and corriander powder. I can make these potato fries in a breeze.
I proceeded to fry these potatoes directly as we need just half kg of potato for us. But if you plan to make 1 kg or more fries. I recommend to half boil potatoes chunks and then fry. As it takes some to fry raw potatoes and doing it in many batches will be cumbersome.
I avoided the boiling step as we all need quick snack with least steps. And you can easily make ½ kg fries in two batches while cooking a main course simultaneously.
My other similar recipes ( Both of these are super quick snack.)
How to make fried potatoes?
Fried Potatoes Recipe , Arabic style
- ½ kg potato, ,peeled and cut in cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Oil , to fry
- ½ teaspoon cumin, ,roasted and crushed
- ½ teaspoon coriander, ,roasted and crushed
- ½ tablespoon red chilli flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- Lemon wedges
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes in 1¼ inch chunks.
- Heat oil in a wok with salt. Add potato chunks and fry for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Then fry for another 2-3 minutes on high heat until golden from all sides. (Also prick with a fork to check tenderness.) Work in two batches.
- Dry roast cumin, coriander, red chilli flakes and salt in a pot for few seconds.
- Add fried potatoes and fresh green coriander. Coat throughly with seasoning.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Step by step recipe of fried potatoes
Wash and peel potatoes. Then cut potatoes into chunks.
Heat oil in a wok.
Add about half potatoes in the hot oil. Also add ½ teaspoon salt.
Fry potatoes on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Then fry for another 2-3 minutes on high heat until golden. (Check tenderness by pricking a fork in one potato chunk.) Then fry remaining potatoes similarly.
Dry roast red chilli flakes, cumin , coriander and salt in pan or pot for few seconds.
Add fried potatoes.
Mix thoroughly. Also add fresh corriander at this stage and serve.
Tried any recipes? I'd LOVE to hear about it in the comments. Your 5-star ratings and comments motivate me to do my best.