So here is my Haleem Masala Recipe that has simple spices that should be easily available in any Indian kitchen. Getting a ready-made haleem masala is super convenient. But if you make haleem often or you can't find haleem masala the effort is totally worth it. And you can easily do it in a coffee grinder.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is haleem masala?
It is a spice mix used to make meat, wheat, and lentil stew called Haleem. Here's you can find the recipe for haleem here. Making your own masala is easy and gives you complete control over spices. Since homemade means healthy and tastier choice. This masala is
- flavorful, very close to the store-bought
- no preservative
- no artificial colors
- no MSG.
This is a small batch recipe that will make about 1 kg meat Haleem. I purposely kept the recipe small-sized so you can try a small batch before doubling or tripling the recipe for a large batch. Although, I feel this recipe is very close to the store-bought product with less red chili. You can always add more if you like spicy haleem.
You can use the spice mix in these recipes.
- Haleem Recipe
- Chicken Haleem Recipe
How to make Haleem Masala?
Haleem Masala or Spice Mix
- Coffee Grinder or Spice grinder
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds, Ajma
- 1 tablespoon black cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaf, crushed
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 black cardamom
- 8 green cardamom
- 8 cloves
- 2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 15 red button chillies
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon salt
- Take all whole spices and seeds in a pan and dry roast for about a minute until fragrant. (If you do not have any of the above whole spices in the whole form then add the powdered form in the next step.)
- Here, add tumeric powder and salt. Grind it until fine. If needed, seive through a fine seive and discard the remains.
- Label a clean, dry glass jar with Haleem Spice Mix and store haleem masala in it in the fridge for 3 months or up to 1 year in the freezer.