If you are wondering how to make dulce de leche from condensed milk, I can tell it is the easiest thing to do with little planning and some patience. What's more, it can yields exactly the same result as store-bought can and you'll never want to buy it.
I was skeptical about doing a separate post for making homemade Dulce de Leche because the process is super simple on the stovetop and has only one ingredient. But when I shared the method in my stories on Instagram, one of the followers asked me few questions and I realized no matter how easy it seems. The method is quite unique and difficult to believe that boiling that same old condensed can make so delicious result.
The method also has a few warnings that I find necessary to share for new and young cooks. But I bet this will be a short post.
How to make?
Take a can of sweetened condensed milk, remove the wrapper. Fill a large pot with water and place the can in it. Water must be 1-2 inches above the can. Boil the can for 3.5 hours.
Tips and warning
- Make sure you remove the wrapper as it will melt in the water and make the pot dirty.
- The can is not damaged or bent.
- If the can rattles in the water, consider adding a cloth underneath to avoid the noise.
- Cover the pot while boiling to avoid quick evaporation of water.
- Make sure the can is completely immersed in the water throughout the process. If water evaporates add more water bring it to boil and then calculate the time.
- Do Not open the can until absolutely cooled. Atleast after 4 hour, preferably let it cool overnight.
What to make with Dulce de Leche?
- Dulce De Leche Mousse with salted caramel sauce
- Dulce De Leche Ice Cream
Similar recipes to try!
How to make Dulce De Leche?
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Water, to boil
- Take a can of sweetened condensed milk, remove the wrapper.
- Fill a large pot with water and place the sweetened condensed milk can in it. Water must be 1-2 inches above the can.
- Cover the pot and boil the can for 3.5 hours. ( Set an alarm.)Protip: boil for 3 hours for soft dulce de leche and 4 hours for a firm dulce de leche.
- Remove the can from water with the help of tongs. Or drain the hot water carefully and remove the can with thick towel.
- Place the can on the counter and let it cool for at least four hours or preferably leave it overnight to cool.
- Store the can in the fridge after opening.
- Make sure the can is completely immersed in the water throughout the process. If the water evaporates add more water bring it to boil and then calculate the time.
- Do Not open the can until absolutely cooled.