Step by step hummus recipe without tahini with photos of each step.
Hummus bi tahini, is a middle eastern side line that taste heavenly with fresh homemade pita bread. Homemade humus tastes great with barbecue dishes, as hummus dip with chips and vegetables; and even tastes good with tandoori naan and wheat roti.
This recipe is great for those who wish to make hummus from scratch or who do not have tahini.
To boil soft chickpeas
You can either use canned chickpeas for this recipe. If you wish to use boiled chickpeas below are the step for soft-boiled chickpeas. If chickpeas are hard your blending will be long and troublesome. Usually if prefer boiling a large batch of chickpeas in advance and freeze. So I can make hummus quickly when craving strikes.
- Soak 3/4 cup raw chickpea in warm water for two hours. Also add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Discard water and boil in new water with 1 tsp of salt on medium flame for 30-45 minutes until very soft.
- You can cook in pressure cooker to speed up.
- Dry water of chickpeas on high flame completely, while stirring constantly.
This easy homemade hummus recipe is made from scratch and includes
- steps to make Tahini from scratch.
- step to make easy Hummus.
My other similar recipes
How to hummus recipe without tahini?
Hummus Recipe without Tahini
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas - (channa)boiled very soft, or canned
- 1/4 cup sesame seed - (safeed til)
- 5 tbs olive oil - (zaitun ka teel) or more
- 1/2 tbs garlic paste
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs yogurt - optional
- a pinch of paprika for garnish
How to make Tahini
- Roast sesame seeds in a pan till lightly golden, stirring constantly. Sesame seed burn quickly so roast on medium low heat.
- Blend the sesame seed in a blender into a fine powder.
- Add two tablespoon of olive oil and blend further till it forms a thick paste.
- Tahini for hummus ready.
How to make hummus
- In a blender add chickpeas and make a very smooth paste.
- Now add 2 tablespoon of tahini, lemon juice, yogurt, 2 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and garlic. (See notes 2-3)
- Blend till it forms a smooth paste.
- In a wide bowl or deep plate, put hummus. With the back of spoon press hummus and turn the bowl with other hand in a circular motion to make a well in hummus.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive in hummus well. Garnish with paprika and herbs.
- The tahini made in this recipe is very thick while tahini sauce is thinner with more olive oil. For quick hummus use ready tahini sauce.
- If your boiled chickpea are already salted, then add very little or no salt. For quick hummus use a can of boiled chickpea.