I had been making Kali Mirch Gosht recipe every year on Eid. But, it was always dry, chewy and not as delicious as I would want it. Then, once I had delicious Kali Mirch Gosht at my aunt's place. We both had same recipe but the difference was the cut of meat we used.
I always used boneless meat from lamb leg. While, she used shoulder chops. The fact is boneless meat is tough with thick grains. While, meat close to bone is high in fat and has soft tissues.
Here a photo of raw shoulder chop, so you know which cut I’m referring.
This time, I tried kali mirch gosht with shoulder chop and trust me, it was melting in the mouth, so yummy, my hubby who is crazy about Kali Mirch boti just loved it.
Tip for making Kali Mirch Gosht
- Use Meat on bones
I suggest, shoulder chop works best for pepper lamb but if you use any other cut make sure it is meat on bone and is high in fat.
- Slow cooking
Slow cooking is the trick that works wonder. Cooking time would vary but mine was done in 40 minutes.
- Just Pepper is good enough
DO NOT tempt to add onion, all spice or red or green chilli along it. Just trust me and follow the recipe you can add as much pepper you like to increase the heat in dish but other spices with muddle with pepper.
- This will not have gravy, this is to be enjoyed greedily as a side dish for meat lovers.
My other similar recipes
How to make Kali Mirch gosht recipe
Kali Mirch Gosht Recipe
- 1 kg mutton shoulder chop, , see notes
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 2 tablespoon butter, , optional
- ¾ -1 tablespoon freshly grounded black pepper, , more for garnish
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ¾ cup water, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Few Fresh corriander leaves
- Lemon wedges
- Put all ingredients in a pot and stir well. Cook for 30-45 minutes on medium low heat until very soft and tender.
- Cook on high flame for 3-4 minutes with constant stirring until oil separates. (Do not dry out all water, a little watery gravy should keep meat moist.)
- Garnish with black pepper, fresh coriander leaves. Serve with lemon wedges.
Step by step Kali Mirch Gosht Recipe
Put all ingredients except garnish in a pot. Mix well and bring meat to boil. Now cover the pot tightly and cook for 30-40 minutes on medium low heat.
Meat is cook and almost coming off the bones. Cook of high for 2-3 minutes without drying all gravy.
Serve! I paired Kali Mirch gosht with fried potatoes. Find potatoes recipe here.