I have written this keto chicken tikka masala recipe very meticulously. Why? I know, what it is cooking on a Keto diet. Whether, you have family to care for or you may be single; cooking any special diet demands a lot. A big hug to you!
Easiest chicken tikka masala
So, I was careful in writing this recipe that it’s kept super simple. I’ve used ready made spice mix for ease and ready spice mix is cheaper than buying so many individual spices to make it.
Tikka masala spice mix recipe
However, tikka masala spice mix recipe is here too on my blog, if you already have Indian spices in your pantry or you don’t know where to buy tikka masala spice mix. I suggest making a large batch and storing it fridge and you can you use it for up to a year. This spice blend goes very well with many Indian dishes like grilled tikka, Tandoori tikka, barbecue rice and so on. So it’s time saving and worth making it.
This is Low Carb too
I’ve made sure that carbs are kept to least. So, even if you’ve consumed more carbs in the day, you can still enjoy this dish.
You can change this into Keto Tikka masala wraps
I’m so proud of myself since I’ve suggested in the end of post that how you can add veggies to this dish and turn it into tikka masala wraps. So I provide a complete meal with fibres and you do not have make Keto rice or roti.
Great on Keto diet
I personally, created this recipe for myself when I was on Keto diet and I loved it. Why? After having so much cheese, butter and cream, everything feels tasteless and frustrating. But this tikka masala has and rich kick of spices which makes life bearable. In fact, good.
I added cream cheese to my lettuce wrap and it tasted heavenly. Can’t recommend this dish enough specially if you love tikka flavor.
It tastes slightly different from authentic, Why?
Authentic tikka masala calls for 1 cup yogurt, 1 cup tomato sauce or purée, 1 large onion. I have cut all those ingredients to keep this recipe very low carb. YES! The taste is compromised but you don’t want to kick to yourself off ketosis and I definitely don’t want to be that culprit.
I’ve also mentioned carb count with ingredients in recipe card as calculated by low carb manager app.
My greatest Keto tip
Make larger batches of food and freeze and leftover. They’re so handy on keto diet.
Here’s my other Keto recipes you might like
Spinach omelette (My go to Keto breakfast)
Keto Cauliflowers fried rice ( even my kids loved this.)
How to make Keto Tikka masala recipe
Keto Chicken Tikka masala recipe
- 1 pound (450 grams ) boneless and skinless chicken thigh, , cut in ¾ cubes (you can use chicken breast too but thigh has more fat)
- 2 tablespoon Chicken Tikka Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoon yogurt, (1g carb)
- ½ tablespoon garlic, minced or paste (1g carb)
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced or paste, (1g carb)
- 1½ tablespoon tomato paste, (3g carb)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup heavy cream, (2g carb)
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves, (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoon cilantro leaves
- Keep a piece of charcoal to heat in open flame from stove, so charcoal is red hot when we finish marinating chicken. (This smoking step is optional.)
- Take chicken, tikka masala, tomato paste, ginger, garlic and yogurt in a large bowl, mix well.
- Keep a piece of foil on the chicken and place a red hot coal over it. Drizzle a few drops of oil over the chicken and cover it tightly with a heavy lid. Make sure the smoke doesn't escape the bowl. Leave the chicken covered for 20 minutes at least.
- Now, heat butter in a pan and add marinated chicken, cream and ¼ cup water. Cover the pot and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- When chicken is cooked, add fenugreek leaves and simmer for few minutes until a little layer oil rises on top of curry.
- Simmer the chicken until desired consistency is reached. Garnish with cilantro and serve with keto rice or naan.
Step by step recipe of Keto Chicken Tikka Masala
Keep a piece of charcoal over flame to heat until red hot.
Take chicken, tikka masala, tomato paste, ginger, garlic and yogurt in bowl.
Mix well. And rest chicken for 20 - 40 minutes.
Simultaneously, smoke the raw chicken. For this, keep red hot charcoal over a foil on the chicken.
(You can also smoke after chicken is cooked.)
Drizzle few drop of oil over coal and immediately cover it.
Make sure the lid or plate you use for covering fits tightly and traps the smoke. Now, rest the chicken until all smoke has settled.
Heat butter in a pan.
Add marinated chicken, mix well and cook on medium heat.
Add ¼ cup water. Cover the pan with lid and cook chicken for 15 minute on medium low heat until tender.
Chicken is cooked, add fenugreek leaves and simmer for few minutes until you see oil on the top (Adding fenugreek leaves is optional, since the aroma is strong and not favourite with many, although we love it. )
You can cook gravy until it reaches desired consistency. We like keto tikka masala to be dry but and add it in lettuce wrap with zucchini.
For lettuce wrap, I shallow fry zucchini with garlic, salt and peper.
Take a lettuce and spread your chicken tikka masala and zucchini. You can also top it with cream cheese and wrap it. Enjoy your Keto tikka masala lettuce wrap.