Step by step recipe of lagan ki seekh with photos.
Here's an authentic recipe of lagan ki seekh. It's a super simple recipe and I'm restraining myself from any variation as I want the original recipe to survive. You can add potatoes or tomatoes but the original version is simple. The recipe comes from my mother in law and my Dadi also made it like this. Lagan means, a large round metal tray. Traditionally, the seekh was made in the metal tray so it is named lagan ni seekh.
Not only it is easy and simple but it is light and tastes just like kabab without any hassle. It is a soul comfort food great on those days when you want to spend little time in the kitchen. The pieces set very well, yet they are soft and juicy. Serve it with your favorite chutney or simply ketchup and lemon.
Few variations are adding a layer of 1 very thinly sliced potato on the base. Another one is adding 1 tablespoon tikka masala in marination which adds both color and additional spice to lagan ki seekh. It's your dish so make as you please.
Step by step recipe of Lagan ki Seekh
Marinate mince meat with ginger, garlic, green chili paste, fresh coriander, mint, all spice, cumin , coriander, salt, red chili and turmeric.
Mix well cover and marinate for two hours. Or overnight in the fridge.
Preheat the oven at 200 C. Mix bread and milk, very well.
Make the mixture smooth so it mixes easily in mince without lumps. But remove any excess milk. Set aside.
Fry onions and save the oil for tarka. Crush fried onion with hand or in mixer.
Mix onions and bread mixture in marinated mince.
Add 1 beaten egg and lemon juice and mix well again. Lagan ka qeema is ready to bake.
Grease a dish with oil.
Fill in the qeema mixture.Garnish with fresh coriander and ginger.
Beat three eggs lightly with salt and red chili. Spread the layer on Qeema.
Heat oil until smoking hot in a pot and spread evenly on eggs. The eggs are uncooked, they will bake in the oven.
Now bake at 200 C, gas mark 6 for 30 minutes. Lagan ki seekh is ready when eggs are fully cooked.
Hungry for more Bohra recipes?
Lagan Ki Seekh
- 500 gm mince meat, (keema of beef, mutton or lamb)
- 1 ½ tablespoon ginger paste, (adrak)
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste, (lahsun)
- 1 tablespoon green chili paste, (hari mirch)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander, (hara dhanya)
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint, (pudina)
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder, (lal mirch)
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder, (dhanya)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder, (garam masala)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder, (zeera)
- salt to taste
- 150 gm or 1 large onion, , golden fried (lal piyaz)
- 6 tablespoon oil, (tel)
- 4 slice of medium bread
- ¼ cup milk , or more
- 4 eggs, (anday)
- 2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- julienne cut ginger and chopped coriander for garnish, (adrak aur dhanya)
- Ketchup and lemon, for serving
- Wash mince and strain. Remove excess water by pressing mince in the strainer with a large spoon.
- In a bowl take mince meat, ginger, garlic , green chili, mint, fresh coriander, 1 ½ teaspoon red chili, coriander, turmeric, salt, cumin and all spice powder . Mix well and marinate for 2 hours. (You can smoke qeema at this stage)
Assembling and Baking
- Preheat the oven and grease an 8" x 5" baking dish.
- In a plate mix bread and milk. Mix well to form a mixture with no lump. Add more milk it required. Set aside.
- Crush fried onion and set aside.
- After two hour add fried onions and bread to the mixture and mix well.
- Now add 1 beaten egg and lemon juice to mince and mix well.
- Spread the mince mixture even in 8' x 5' baking dish, the layer of mixture should be of 1.5 inch.
- Beat three egg lightly with ½ red chili powder and salt. Pour a layer of eggs on the mince.
- Heat oil till smoking hot and pour evenly on the eggs. ( You can use same oil you used to fry onions.)
- Place the dish in oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at gas mark 6, 200 C, 400 F on lowest shelf. Do rotate the tray after 15 minutes for even cooking. Lagan ki seekh is ready when eggs are cooked.