Lamb leg recipe slow cook with Cashew step by step with few photos.
First of all apologies for not posting a step by step recipe with all and clear photos. I cooked this around Eid and was too busy to take photos religiously in planned way and missed a few step. I though to add just the recipe but I decided to add a few (not very good ) photos to give rough idea.
You can also check my similar recipe made with chicken with cashew. This chicken recipe also has Step by Step that might help you.
Trimming Lamb Leg
Usually, a mutton leg is around 2.5 kilogram in weight which is large enough to feed 8 people. This recipe is of 1.25 kg mutton leg, now you must be wondering, why my mutton leg is skinny.
It’s common practice to trim extra meat from sides of the leg. So, the leg is reduced to half the original weight and the meat close to bone is softer. I also asked butcher to break it from joint so I can fit it in my pot. So, you can also use the same technique and trim the extra meat. You can use extra meat to make lamb mince or just use boneless mutton for grilling on barbecue nights.
Tips for Bone Soft Meat
1. Marinate lamb leg for long hours
Regardless of recipe, always marinate mutton leg for 12-24 hours in fridge with spices and a few spoons of yogurt. The good bacteria in yogurt helps in tenderizing. While commercial tenderizer and few natural tenderizer like raw papaya dissolve the tissues of meat making them a bit mushy after cooking. The meat looses it delight of biting into soft tender juicy tissues.
2. Slow cooking Lamb Leg
So, this long marination together with slow cooking provides far better results than usual tenderizer and high heat cooking. You can read more about slow cooking here.
This is a slow cook recipe, I cooked mutton leg for 3-4 hours on very low heat. But, the cooking time may vary depending on meat type, age of aninal, altitude, size and thickness of skillet and so on. I feel, I’m show offing a bit of extra knowledge that I assume, I have. 😃
This is cashewy, rich and yummy gravy along with bone soft meat that is about to fall from bone is the delight of this dish.
My other chicken recipes that you can improvise to make mutton leg too only if you are a creative enough, more correctly expert cook.
How to make Lamb Leg Slow Cook Recipe?
Lamb Leg Recipe Slow Cooker
- 1 ¼ Kg lamb Leg
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1½ to 2 tablespoon green chilli paste - less or more to taste
- Salt - to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 fist full cashew nut - powdered
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds - freshly roasted and grounded
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds - freshly roasted and grounded
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ tablespoon chopped garlic
- 5-7 round red chillies
- 2 twigs curry leaves
- Cashew halves
- Lemon wedges
- In a pot marinate lamb leg, green chilli, ginger garlic paste, salt and yogurt. Mix well and marinate 12-18 hour in refrigerator.
- In a thick bottomed wide pan, take lamb leg and fill water to immerse barely half of lamb leg. You’ll need to turn lamb leg from side to side after every 40 minutes. Cook for about 2 or more hour on slow heat until very tender and water dries completely.
- Add 2 tablespoon oil, cashew, corriander, and cumin powder in lamb leg and fry turning from side to side for 3-4 minutes until light golden. (Bhunna)
- Finally, add whipped yogurt and milk, bring to boil. Then cover pot and simmer for 7 minutes on low heat until oil separate on sides.
- In a pan, fry cumin, coriander and round red chillies for 1 minutes. Pour tempering over the lamb leg and cover the pan. Garnish with cashew halves.