Here is a mango ice cream recipe that is better than store-bought ice cream. It is creamy, rich, and has no artificial flavors. And the best thing, it is no churn and super easy to make. What more? This ice cream doesn’t develop icicles that are common in homemade mango ice cream, Yum!
It has an intensely creamy texture and is very scoopable just like store-bought ice cream. It takes only 12 hours of freezing which means you can make it before sleeping and enjoy it at breakfast if you are super excited like me and will have a dessert in breakfast. This ice cream makes a very exciting dessert after dinner on a hot summer day
Best mango varieties for ice cream?
We at home are Anwar Ratool and Punjabi Chausa lovers. But Devnagri Alphonso, Safeeda, Sindhri or Dasheri varieties of mango works fine for ice-cream. If you could use a mix of two varieties, taste will be even better.
If you are not aware of these mango varieties just make sure to get best tasting mangoes that are sweet.
Taste of this homemade ice-cream
The taste of this ice cream is very creamy and rich with no icicles. You can see in the above image that the surface is smooth and not shining with crystals. It tastes something, you just can’t compare with store-bought ice cream. The ice cream has a strong and natural mango flavor. Try to use good quality and fully ripened sweet mangoes for best taste.
If you want to make mango ice cream in ice cream maker, try this recipe from food.com. It tastes light and delicious but develops crystal if not churned and made in the freezer.
Can I add mango chunks it ?
Mango chunk would be a great addition to this ice cream if you like chunky flavors. Keep the size of mango chunks super tiny so they a separate entity but doesn’t taste like a large chunk of ice in the ice cream. Add about ½ cup of tiny mango pieces for a rich mango flavor.
Why this no-churn ice-cream recipe works?
For this recipe we use whipped cream that has high-fat content, condensed milk which again has low water content attained by reducing milk to almost ⅓ and concentrated mango pulp. Because the water content is low and fat content is high, the crystals do not develop upon freezing and you get super smooth no-churn mango ice cream without machine.
This trick generally works for any no churn ice cream.
Why do we have to cook mango pulp?
We cook mango pulp to evaporate some of the water content in mango. This helps to make the ice cream super smooth. The trick to make no-churn ice cream in the freezer is keeping the water content as low as possible to avoid crystals or icicles. I learned this trick to cook mango from Recipetineats.
How do make mango ice-cream from scratch?
- Take mango chunks in a blender and pulse it until it forms a smooth mango puree.
- Transfer puree to a thick-based pan and cook puree on medium heat for 10 minutes until it is thick. To check the thickness, draw a line in the pan with a spatula. If it stays, it is thickened enough. Remove the mango puree to a bowl and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- When the mixture is slightly cool, add the condensed milk.
- Mix well until smooth, pop in the freezer to cool until needed.
- Take cream in a bowl, preferably steel, and let it chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Whip cream until you see stiff peaks, (that is when you remove the whisk the cream stays stiff and doesn’t melt into smoothness.) If or cream is not reaching the stiff-peak stage after a lot of beating, it’s ok. Soft peaks work here but stiff peaks are recommended. Place whipped cream in the fridge until needed.
- Mix mango-condensed milk mixture in cream with a spatula just until combined. Aim at fewer strokes and no vigorous mixing.
- The color of mango icecream depend on the color of mango puree, add yellow food color only if needed. You may also add an extra 1/2 cup of tiny mango chunks if you like.
- Place mango ice cream in a container preferably with a lid, or use a casserole like me.
- Cover the surface of mango ice cream with butter paper. The butter paper should touch the ice cream mixture. Don’ t worry it will come off easily.
- If your container doesn’t have a lid then cover with foil. Place in the freezer for 12 hours.
- Scoop and fill the no-churn homemade mango ice cream in a cup and enjoy it.
Hungry for mango recipes? Check these!
- Mango Delight Dessert
- Mango Rabri, 3 ingredients only.
- Cucumber Mango Salad
- Mango Chutney
- Mango Milkshake
- Mango Vermicelli pudding
Mango Ice cream, 3 ingredients only
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, chilled
- 2 cups heavy cream, or whipping cream, chilled
- 4 cups mango chunks, sweeter varieties, from about 4 mangoes.
Make Mango Puree
- Pulse mango chunks in the blender and make a smooth puree.
- Transfer puree to a thick-bottomed pan. Bring the puree to boil and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat with frequent stirring. Reduce heat if puree splutters.
- Cook until mango puree is reduced to half. The visual indication is when you draw a line in the pan, it stays and doesn't melt. Remove mango puree to a bowl and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- While mango puree cools, whip chilled cream in a large bowl until it reaches the stiff peak stage. Set in fridge until needed.
- Mix sweetened condensed milk with prepared mango puree.
- Pour mango-condensed milk mixture in whipped cream and fold with a spatula until combined.
- Transfer ice cream mixture to a container. Cover the surface of icecream with a butter paper. The butter paper should touch the ice cream surface. Cover the container with a lid or foil.
- Set the container in the freezer for 12 hours until ice cream is set. Remove from freezer 5 minutes before serving. Scoop and serve in icecream cups.
- Fresh cream, double cream, tetra pack cream, whipping cream, heavy cream all work here but not low fat cream.
- You may add ¼ teaspoon yellow food color in the last for rich yellow icecream.
- If you like mango chunks in ice cream, try adding ½ cup of very small mango pieces.