I love making lava cakes as they are easy, you don’t have to wait for the cake to cool down and then do frosting. And they even don’t require frosting, although, serving with ice cream is suggested. I used rose shaped silicon molds to bake these goodies for my boy’s birthday; but ramekins are ideal for it.
Tip for beginners
The trick in molten lava cake is timing. So if you are making lava cake first time, bake one mold first, so you can judge the actual timing when it is ready. Even 1-2 minute matters. As over baking will not give you flowing lava and under baking will break your cake before turning. A little practice will help you master so bake 1 ramekin at a time for practice.
How to make Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
Author: Mariam Huzaifa
Recipe time: 30 min|Prep time:18 min|Baking time:12 min|Recipe type: Dessert, Cake|Cuisine:French, American|Serving: 3-4
- 125 gm bitter sweet chocolate, for batter
- ½ inch bitter sweet chocolate cubes for cake center
- 125 gm melted butter, ½ cup (makhan)
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoon plain flour (maida), more for dusting molds
- ¾ cup confectioner’s sugar,(see notes 1 and 2)
Instructions for molten chocolate lava cake
- Preheat oven at 175 C, 350 F or gas mark 4.
- Prepare ramekins, custard cups or mold by brushing with butter and dusting with flour.Tap out the extra flour.
- Melt chocolate in microwave (mixing after every 10 second interval until fully melted) or on double boiler. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar for 2 minutes, until light and creamy, add butter beat for 1 more minute.
- Mix in flour and melted chocolate mixture just until combined.
- Pour in molds and add a cube of chocolate in center. (see note 3 for baking later)
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Let is rest for 5 minutes before serving, then slide the knife around edges, keep the serving plate on top and turn upside down.
- You can serve in ramekins too.
Step by step Molten Lava Cake with photographs.
- Take four ramekins, grease with butter and dust with flour.( see notes 2 for more dusting ideas.)
Melt chocolate in microwave. Heat for 10 sec, take out and mix. Again microwave for 10 sec and mix well. Repeat until chocolate is fully melted and smooth. You can also do this on double boiler too.
- Beat the eggs with sugar for 5 minutes, or until creamy.
- Add flour and melted chocolate and butter. Mix lightly with spatula to combine.
- Pour batter in molds and place in chocolate cubes.
- Bake in oven at 175 C for 10-12 minutes.
- Wait for few minute to let the cake cool in the mold.
- Loosen the sides with the help of a knife.
- Place a plate on top of mold and turn upside down.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and fresh fruits.
- Confectioner’s sugar is very finely powdered sugar. If making your own powdered sugar, blend castor sugar for 2 minutes in electric processor in small batches. Measure 1 cup powdered sugar for recipe and not castor sugar.
- You can also dust your molds with pistachio, almonds, cocoa powder or sugar too instead of flour.
- How to make ahead molten lava cake. At step no.6, you can refrigerate the batter for up to a day in mold and baker later. But bring them to room temperature before baking. Keep mold in tray and cover with cling wrap.