Paneer Reshmi Handi Recipe is merry fusion of east and west. It is super quick and easy to make. Paneer is cottage cheese in Hindi and Urdu. Reshmi mean like silky, it refers to silky smooth texture of gravy. Handi mean earthen pot.
It is dairy based curry. In this dish cheddar cheese is used instead of paneer (cottage cheese) while cheddar cheese is never used in traditional south Asian cooking. The gravy is also inspired by Italian white sauce. This Handi has very few spices unlike other South Asian curries.
Origin of Paneer Reshmi Handi
Just like Chicken 65, this curry originated in a famous restaurant. The restaurant is Kolachi located in Karachi, Pakistan. Then, it gradually made its place to the menu of all neighboring restaurants.
I personally had it at least 5 years ago and hubby also loved it. So, it’s a recent innovation.
I’ve kept the recipe close to original. But you can skip sauteed onion and capsicum if you don’t like. This will keep the curry super smooth.
You may add sweet corns or paneer pieces instead.
My other similar recipes
How to make Paneer Reshmi Handi (Kolachi Style)
Paneer Reshmi Handi (Kolachi Style)
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1½ to 2 tablespoon green chilli paste, less or more to taste
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- ½ cup yogurt
- 400 grams chicken cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Sauté Veggies
- ½ tablespoon oil
- 1 small capsicum, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- ½ cup shredded cheese, loosely packed
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 medium chillies, deseeded and cut in julienne
- Salt, to taste
- In a pot, heat oil then add chopped onion, chilli, garlic and ginger paste. Mix well and cover the pot. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat until onions are soft.
- Switch off heat then add yogurt. Transfer gravy to a food processor and blend for 2-3 minutes until you have a very smooth this gravy. Set aside.
- In same pot, heat oil and sauté sliced onion and capsicum for 2 minutes until soft.
- Remove veggies to a plate and set aside.
For Chicken and Assemble
- In a bowl, mix chicken, salt and flour.
- Again in same pot, heat butter on low flame. Add the chicken and cumin powder. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes until color changes.
- Now add in yogurt gravy, sautéed onions, capsicum and cheddar cheese to the chicken pot. Mix well and simmer for 2-3 minutes. (Add 2 tablespoons of water to thin out gravy if needed.)
- Finally, mix in cream. Add butter on sides of pot and simmer for few more minutes until oil separates. Served with crispy garlic naan.
Step by step Paneer Reshmi Handi Recipe
In a wok, take onion gingar, garlic and green chilli paste.
Cover the pot and fry 5 minutes on medium heat until onions are soft.
When onions are soft add yogurt, this yogurt will also cool the gravy so we can process it easily.
Transfer onion-yogurt gravy to a food processor and blend for 2-3 minutes until silky smooth.
Set this gravy aside until needed.
In the same pot, saute onion and capsicum for 3-4 minutes until soft. Remove to a plate and set aside.
In a bowl mix cornflour, salt and chicken. Mix well.
In same pot, fry chicken in little butter.
Also add cumin powder.
When chicken changes it color and turn slightly golden and onion yogurt gravy.
Mix and add cheese and sauteed capsicum and onions. Simmer for 2-3 minutes on low flame until cheese melts.
Now add creams. (Do not cook on high flame after adding cream.)
Add slices chilles and butter. Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes until a little oil rises on center of gravy.
Pin this image for later reference!
Serve piping hot with garlic naan.
Like, Comment, Subscribe to let us know your opinion and request. We are working everyday to bring best taste with easiest recipe.
My Recipe Collection.