This is super creamy, sweet, and sour, no-churn plum ice cream recipe has a lovely color and intense flavors. It needs just three ingredients of plums, condensed milk, and cream. Like other ice cream recipes on the blog, this is also made without an ice cream maker.
I love summers, the season of fruity sweetness. The sweet soothing aroma of plum and juicy texture with dark and tarty skin is mystic deliciousness. The fresh fully ripened fruit should must be enjoyed in every possible way whether it be plum jam or plum drinks.
And this ice cream is truly indulgent. And what makes it even special is that my very picky son also loves it. It is very creamy and has no icicles just a very intense flavor.
- Select your fruit carefully! Fully ripened sweet plums that have dark skin and reddish flesh are best for any plum recipe. There are many varieties of plum ranging from Japanese plum to black, Red, Italian, Indian, and European plums. So you might need to adjust this recipe according to the plum variety you have in hand. If your fruit is naturally very sweet, consider reducing condensed milk in the recipe by 2-3 tablespoons. Find more about varieties of plum here.
- The plums one with red flesh are sweeter than the one with yellow flesh. The color of ice cream also depends on the color of fruit skin and flesh and ranges from red to deep maroon.
- Use full-fat whipping cream: Use chilled cream that doubles very well in volume and gets stiff peaks.
- Take your ice cream out of the freeze 15 minutes before serving so ice cream is easily scoopable.
- You can also add biscuit chunk or white chocolate chips if you like some texture in your ice cream.
- Swirl ice cream: If you like swirls in your ice cream then add 1 teaspoon vanilla essence in the base of cream and condensed milk. Transfer half of the ice cream base to the container. Add half of the plum syrup with the help of a spoon. Put dollops of plum syrup all over the container. Add remaining vanilla ice cream base and add remaining plum syrup by spoon. Make few swirls with the help of a stick and freeze.
- Chunky ice cream: If you wish to make chunky plum ice cream. Skip the step of blending the plums and cook it. Then just break the cooked soft plums with the help of a spatula. Follow the rest of the step as it is. The skin of plum tastes similar to fruit leather in the ice cream and tastes really yummy.
Can I make it without condensed milk?
Yes! if you do not have condensed milk, you can simply add ½ cup sugar while cooking plum and skip the condensed milk. Add more sugar if needed after doing taste test. You might also need lesser fruit for this recipe.
Can I make plum icecream with plum jam?
Yes! if you to make ice cream with my plum jam recipe. Skip condensed milk altogether in the recipe. And just mix cream and plum. To make it lighter you can also add ½ cup of evaporated milk. Chill the can and whip it until doubled before adding it to the ice cream.
Steps to make plum ice cream recipe
- Wash and deseed the fruit and if plums are very large chop them roughly. No need to skin it as the skin has so much flavor and color.
- Transfer plum to a food processor and blend until smooth. Make sure skin is fully blended.
- Keep simmering the puree on low heat until color changes and slightly thickened. Set it aside and let it cool. Transfer puree to a bowl which will let the puree cool quickly.
- Take chilled whipping cream in a large bowl.
- Whip it with a beater until you see stiff peaks. That is when you remove the whisk, the cream holds its shape and doesn't melt in smoothness.
- Add cooked plum, condensed milk. Mix with the help of a spatula, keep stirring until puree is evenly mixed. Do a taste test and add one extra tablespoon of lemon juice if you like it sour. (At this stage, after mixing you have lovely pink color. But color depends on the variety of plums used. If you want a deeper color, you can add 1-2 drops of red color.)
- Transfer ice cream to a container, preferably with a lid. Then cover it with butter paper or cling wrap. It should touch the surface of ice cream. This doesn't allow icicles to form on the surface.
- Freeze homemade ice cream for at least four hours. Remove the ice cream 10 minutes before serving so it is scoopable and then scoop it into the ice cream cups. Serve immediately, Enjoy!
Hungry For Ice creams? Check these.
- Strawberry Icecream ( No churn with condensed milk)
- Mango ice cream, no-churn
- Orange Ice Cream with Orange pulp
- Peach Ice cream (No churn with condensed milk)
Tried any recipes? I'd LOVE to hear about it in the comments. Your 5-star ratings and comments motivate me to do my best.
Plum Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 pounds plum, 450 grams deseeded, fully ripened
- 2 cup whipping cream, also called heavy cream, double cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, optional, see notes
- Blend deseeded plum until smooth and skin is no more visible.
- Take plum puree in a pan and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat until color changes and slightly thick. Keep stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and aside to cool.
- Take chilled whipping cream in a large bowl. Whip it until you see stiff peaks.
- Add cooked plum, condensed milk, and lemon juice (if using). Mix thoroughly with the help of a spatula.
- Transfer ice cream to a 1.5-liter container. Then cover it with butter paper or cling wrap. It should touch the surface of ice cream.
- Chill for at least four hours in the freezer.
- Remove the ice cream 10 minutes before serving. Scoop and serve immediately.