Step by step recipe of Indian Potato salad with yogurt.
Summers are time when you want to stay away from the kitchen. The heat of stove and lengthy cooking hours could be burdensome. On those days Potato yogurt Salad or Aaloo ka raita can make an easy and complete lunch salad.
A thick Potato raita can quench your cravings for Indian chaat too. The ingredients are really simple and this salad can easily be altered to suit your taste. Although, I advise sticking to the original version. Kids also love this salad.
This potato salad is called aloo raita (meaning potato and yogurt salad). The salad can be enjoyed as a snack and it pair very with biryani, pulao, lamb curry, Lamb karahi, and so on.
How to make it?
Boil Potato with salt. Poke knife to check tenderness. When knife slips easily in the middle of potato, they are cooked. Drain water and let the potato get cool naturally. Peel skin and cut potato into large chunks.
Roast cumin and pepper in a fry pan for 1-2 minutes on medium heat. Stir until cumin turns darker. Transfer cumin and pepper to a plate. Let cool. Then ground into a fine powder.
Put all ingredients of salad in a bowl and mix well.
- You can add chickpeas or corn to this salad.
- If you like a rich salad, you add a little cream to it.
- Do not add chat masala, the roasted cumin and pepper taste is overpowered by chaat masala flavors.
- If you wish to skip the roasting step of pepper and cumin seeds, just add cumin powder and freshly ground pepper.
Hungry for more salad? Check these
If you try this recipe, I'd LOVE to hear your feedback in the comments. Your 5-ratings motivate me to do my best. Stay connected for more recipes and videos on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Youtube.
Indian Potato Salad
- 3 medium (500 grams) potato , ,boiled
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt , to taste
- 1 medium onion, , chopped
- 2 medium tomato, , chopped
- few stalks coriander, , chopped (dhanya)
- 1 medium green chilli, , chopped (darmiyani hari mirch)
- 1½ cup yogurt
- Peel boiled potatoes and cut them into small chunks.
- Dry roast cumin and pepper in a pan on medium heat until fragrant. Then remove from heat and grind into fine powder.
- Mix all the ingredients and seasoning in a bowl. Your potato yogurt salad is ready to eat.