Updated: 17 July 2020
Heya! Are you ready to enjoy some sweetened condensed milk dessert? Yes, now you can make your own with just three ingredients. And it tastes better than store-bought, I promise.
Making your homemade condensed milk is not only easy and it is less pricey too. The recipe is really simple and calls for only three ingredients that are almost always available at home. I have used this sweetened condensed milk in many recipes and it works as good as the store-bought stuff.
How is sweetened condensed milk made?
Sweetened condensed milk is made by reducing the water content of milk to half. Simultaneously, the sugar is caramelized as the milk simmers on medium heat and gives it a super unique and delicious taste. You can ways to make quicker condensed milk and dairy-free condensed milk here.
What can you do with it?
Sweetened condensed milk is a condiment used in making many sweets, truffles, candies, cakes, cookies, desserts, Indian mithai, laddoos, milkshakes, ice cream, pudding, and the list goes on. Any recipe that calls for milk and sugar. Condensed milk can be added to it for a rich decadent taste.
If you have some leftovers simply add it to coffee for a delicious latte or black tea to make yummy Indian chai. Or just substitute it in milkshakes or smoothies for sweetener and enjoy.
How to store it?
Store homemade sweetened condensed milk in an airtight glass jar in the fridge and it should stay good for 7-10 days. If you don't want to use it immediately, you can freeze it for 3 months. Reheat it if the sugar crystallizes.
Can I use less sugar?
This homemade sweetened condensed milk recipe is slightly less sweet than commercial ones so I would recommend not to tweak the sugar. But if you really have to then you may reduce the sugar to ¾ cup. It will be less thick.
How do you make sweetened condensed milk from scratch?
- In a nonstick pan and wide-based combine milk and sugar. Wide-based pan helps quick evaporation but you can also use a saucepan. Cooking time will increase in a saucepan. Also, mark a visual note of the level of milk in the pan. Bring milk to boil on medium heat. Once it boils, reduce the heat to let level where milk simmers without over-flowing.
- The sugar will melt and the mixture becomes thin but it starts getting thicker as water evaporates. Let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- When the mixture starts getting thicker reduce after 20 minutes of simmering reduces heat to the lowest level. The dissolved sugar begins to caramelize. We need to reduce the water content by half.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter. Strain the condensed milk directly into a clean glass jar to remove any caramelized bits. Straining is not needed if the mixture is smooth. Let sweetened condensed milk cool completely then place the lid and store in the fridge.
Thinking what to make with it? Check these desserts.
- Kiwi Cheesecake
- Lemon Cheesecake
- Coconut delight
- Mango delight
- Coconut balls
- Oreo balls
- Chocolate Salami
Sweetened Condensed Milk Recipe
- 3 cup milk, whole milk, full fat, Notes 1
- 1 cup sugar, Notes 2
- 2 tablespoon salted butter, optional but recommended
- Combine milk and sugar in a wide-based non-stick pan. Whisk constantly to dissolve sugar over medium heat. Visually note the level of milk in the pan.
- As soon as the milk boils, reduce heat to a level when it simmers lightly and doesn't over-flow. Let it simmer on medium-low heat for about 20 minutes. Stir at intervals to check.
- Then reduce heat to lowest and cook further until the milk has reduced to half and has a thin syrupy consistency, remove from heat and stir the butter. Condensed milk is ready. (It will thicken upon cooling.)
- Strain the sweetened condensed milk directly into a clean glass jar to remove any caramel bits. Let it cool.
- Store homemade condensed milk in the refrigerator.
- Milk: Try these two alternatives to substitute milk. Evaporated milk: You can replace three cups of milk with 1 can evaporated milk. The cooking will be very little. Coconut milk: You substitute 3 cups of milk with 1 can of coconut cream. Similar to evaporated milk cooking time will be about 5-7 minutes.
- Sugar: Replace sugar with 1¼ cup maple syrup or 1 cup honey. Cooking time for maple syrup will increase.
- Color: The quality of milk can vary the thickness and color of sweetened condensed milk.
- Storage: Store sweetened condensed milk in the fridge and it stays good for more than 7 days. If the top of condensed milk gets crumbly in the fridge, keep it in room temperature and give it a stir and it will be smooth and runny again.
Don't forget to give this recipe a 5-star rating by clicking the fifth star on the recipe card. Please leave feedback or any query in the comment section. I love to hear from you.