Step by step Sarson ka Saag Recipe | Pakistani (Mustard Greens Recipe) with Photos of each step.
This is a traditional Punjabi or North Indian recipe that is often referred and celebrated in Punjabi literature and folk lore.
Saron means mustard green. Saag means curry. This is very simple but incredibly delicious Punjabi style mustard greens recipe.
Have a look at my other
How to make Sarsoon ka Saag Recipe
Sarson ka Saag Recipe
- 4 cup mustard greens - sarson, tightly packed
- 1 cup spinach - (palak), tightly packed
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup ghee or butter
- 2 large cloves garlic - chopped
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoon green chilli paste
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger - chopped
- 2 medium tomato - raw purée
- Wash and boil mustard green and spinach with turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt and water for 20 minutes until soft. Boil on medium heat with lid covered. Let the greens cool then blend into a coarse paste.
- Simultaneously in another pot, heat ghee or butter. Fry garlic, mustard and fenugreek seed for 30 second on medium heat.
- Now add green chilli paste, onion and ginger and fry for 5 minutes until onions are soft.
- Finally add tomato puree and cook further for 10 minutes or until oil separates.
- Add the mustard-spinach paste to the pot and simmer for 10-15 minutes until water dries and curry thicken.
- Serve with makai roti and raita.
Step by step Sarson ka saag Recipe
Wash mustard greens thoroughly.
Wash spinach thoroughly.
Boil mustard and spinach green with cumin, salt, turmeric, coriander and water for 20 minutes on medium heat with lid covered.
Spinach and mustard greens are soft now.
In a separate pot, heat ghee or butter.
Fry garlic, mustard and fenugreek seeds for 30 second until golden then add green chilli paste.
Stir and add onions and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes until onions are soft.
When onions are soft, add raw tomato puree. Cover lid and cook for another 10 minutes until oil separates on the sides of pot.
Now add the green paste of boiled leafy vegetables. And cook for another 15 minutes on medium heat with lid covered.
Sarsoon ka saag is ready to eat.