Step by step Sheer Khurma recipe Pakistani with photos of each step.
Making Sheer Khurma is always a joyous experience. Everyone’s excited, there is lots of work that still has to be finished before the house is fully set to celebrate Eid ul Fitr (Muslim Celebration after a month of Fasting). Simultaneously, I make other desserts to greet the guest and sometimes, I also cook paya or bhunna keema for Eid ul Fitr Breakfast. Everyone at home is dressed well, cheered and excited after Eid khutba (prayer).
Sheer Khurma is cooked on Eid ul Fitr throughout South Asia. Sheer literally means ‘milk’ and khurma means dates in Persian language. So Sheer khurma is sweetened milk syrup with dates, vermicelli and dry fruits.
It’s very easy to make. Like other milk dessert such as kheer and kalamra, you can add richness to sheer khurma by simmering milk for long or by adding milk powder, condensed milk or cream.
You can enjoy sheer khurma hot or cold. Traditionally, it is served warm.
More puddings like this.
How to make Sheer Khurma recipe Pakistani?
sheer khurma recipe
- 1¾ litre milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon green cardamom powder
- a small pinch saffron
- 2 tablespoon butter or ghee, ,divided
- ½ cup crushed vermicelli, (75 grams)
- 3 tablespoon almonds, ,crushed
- 3 tablespoon pistachio, ,crushed
- 3 tablespoon cashew, ,crushed
- 3-4 tablespoon raisins, ,soaked overnight
- 5 dried dates, ,soaked overnight and chopped
- Put all ingredients of sheer in stainless steel pot.
- Bring it to boil then simmer on low flame for 30-40 minutes. (See notes for quick cooking tips)
For Khurma (dates and nut)
- Side by side in a pan fry vermicilli in 1 tablespoon butter on slow to medium flame until fragrant. Add to the simmering milk pot.
- Next fry dry fruits in ½ tablespoon butter for 30 seconds on medium flame. Then add to simmering milk pot, save some nuts for garnish.
- Finally, mix in raisin and dates to milk.
- Simmer further for 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- Serves hot or cold to taste.
Step by step Sheer Khurma recipe
Take milk, sugar, saffron, cardamom powder and sugar in stainless steel pot.
Bring it to boil and simmer on low flame for 30-40 minutes. (Total cooking time)
While milk simmer, crush vermicelli. Take butter and vermicelli in pan and fry for 1 minutes on medium flame until fragrant. This will burn quickly so keep stirring.
Vermicelli is ready.
Add fried vermicelli to simmering milk pot.
Fry mixed nut in 1 tablespoon butter until crisp for about 40 seconds. Add most of it to milk and save some for garnish.
Finally, add soaked dried dates and soaked raisins to milk.
Continue to simmer until thickened to desired consistency. (Remember, it will thicken further upon cooling.)
Garnish and enjoy warm or cold.