Shepherd's pie is an Irish classic dish. The dish has cooked lamb mince with vegetables as a base and mashed potatoes are served on top of it. The dish is usually finished some cheese and herbs.
A great pie for mince lovers, the mashed potato layer is also rich and creamy. A yummy pie loved specially by kids due to thick layer of mashed potatoes. The addition of veggies like carrots, peas and corn make in further tempting to kids.
Cottage Pie Versus Shepherd's Pie
- Both are mince pies with a layer of mashed potatoes on top.
- Cottage Pie is a British dish made usually with beef mince.
- Shepherd's pie is an Irish dish made with Lamb/mutton mince
Why it is called so?
You might be amused with the strange name of this pie. Since, it is made with lamb / mutton mince. And shepherd's look after the sheep so it is called Shepherd's pie. Although, with passing time variation added and you may make it with beef or chicken mince too if you like.
Like I always say make adjustment in this recipe as you like and make it yours.:)
- The original recipe is a bit bland so I adjusted a few spices to meet the desi taste buds. I’ve been quite generous with butter in mashed potatoes but trust me you need that to bring that amazing smoothness and flavor in the mashed potatoes.
- For us 750 grams of potatoes works well. You might use 1000 grams (1KG) of potato if you want more potatoes than mince.
- Add or subtract veggies depending on availability of ingredients and taste preferences.
- Increase red chilli and black pepper in this recipe to meet your taste buds if needed.
- Skip the garlic in meshed potatoes if you don’t like garlic.
Shepherd's Pie without oven: The mince and mashed potatoes both are cooked, we are baking just to melt cheese and for the golden top. So you set the mince in the pot cover it with potato. To melt cheese, cover the pot. Garnish with bread crumbs and herbs.
Hungry for more? Try these!
How to make Shepherd's Pie?
Shepherd's pie recipe
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium onions, ,finely chopped
- ½ kg mutton / lamb / beef mince
- 1 tablespoon garlic, ,finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoon soya sauce
- ¾ to 1 tablespoon red chilli flakes
- 1½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup carrot, shredded
- ½ cup green pea, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 3 tomatoes, ,puréed
- ½ cup chicken stock , or water
- 3 tablespoon corn flour
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste , or 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon butter
For mashed potato
- 750 gram potato, ,boiled with little salt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup (100 gram) butter
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup (100 gram) cheddar cheese
- Thyme , for garnish
- Red chilli flakes , for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions. Fry for few minutes until color changes to translucent.
- Add mince and mix well. Cook until color changes to brown.
- Now, add all ingredients of seasoning and veggies. Mix well and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes until mince is cooked and water dries.
- In a bowl mix chicken stock and flour, add to the mince.
- Also add tomato paste, and butter.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes with constant stirring on high heat. The mixture will thicken. Set aside.
For mashed Potato
- Simultaneously, while mince cooks mesh potatoes in a bowl.
- Add all ingredients of mashed potato and meshed if further until very soft.
- Now, mix for 1-2 minutes with spatula to give mashed potatoes a creamy texture.
- In a 1.5 litre baking dish, spread the mince. Cover it with layer of mashed potato.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly on top mashed potato. Garnish with crushed red chillies and thyme.
- Bake at 350 F for 10-15 minutes until thoroughly heated and cheese melts.
- Finally broil for 3-4 minutes until top of cheese is slightly golden. Remove from oven and let it rest for 7-10 minutes. Then cut and serve.