Tamarind and Dates Chutney recipe with Jaggery is among most common sub continent chutneys are Tamarind (imli) chutney and Coriander Mint Chutney. This simple Imli chutney is super handy as it stays good for long in fridge. Needs hardly any effort to make and goes well with Samosa, Pakora, mixed Chat, Cholay, stuffed paratha, chatni roll, bun kabab, tikka or any other and almost with any desi snack.
This tangy Tamarind chutney has dates and jaggery as natural sweetener. Plus dates also give a thicker texture to the chutney. Cumin powder in chutney gives an extra punch.
- If using seed less tamarind straining is not required and use 1.5 cup of seedless tamarind instead of 3 cups.
- Always store imli chutney in a clean jar in fridge.
- It stays good in fridge for up to 15 days or more.
- You can store excess chutney in freezer, stays good more than two months.
- Jaggery can be substituted with sugar.
- Use clean spoon every time for serving.
- Discard, if you see fungus on top layer of chutney or it smells bad.
I make large batch and freeze it in small bottles. So one small jars stay in fridge while others are frozen.You can use freezer bags too. This chutney gets thawed really fast due extra sugar in it.
My other similar recipes:
How to make Tamarind and Dates Chutney recipe
Tamarind and Dates Chutney Recipe
- 3 cups tamarind – (imli)
- 1 cup jaggery – (gur)
- 1 cup dates without seed, packed – (khajoor)
- 1 to 2 tsp red chili powder – , to taste
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon salt – or to taste
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups water
- Mix all ingredients in a pot, cook for 10 minutes until dates and jaggery melt.
- Adjust water if necessary and bring everything to boil. Remove from heat.
- When chutney cools strain through coarse strainer and transfer to a clean container.
- Store in fridge and use as required.
Step by step Tamarind and dates chutney, easy imli aur khajoor ki chutney recipe.
- In a pot take Tamarind (imli) and water.
- Add jaggery (gur) and sugar.
- Add spices too, like red chili powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Add dates to the pot and start cooking on medium heat.
- As water boil tamarind gets soft and and jaggery and sugar melts.
- Break the lumps of tamarind and mix well.
- Cook well till dates, jaggery, tamarind all melts and forms a syrup.
- Add more water if required.(around 10 minutes of total cooking.)
- Adjust the taste and thickness of chutney at this stage.
- Put a coarse strainer on a large pot. Strain the mixture to remove tamarind seeds.
- Spread the mixture all over the walls of strainer and wipe the thick liquid from bottom.
- You may do this in batches if you have a small sieve or a large batch of tamarind chutney.
- Optional Step: To extract most of flavour from seeeds, in a bowl mix about ½-¾ cup of water and strained seeds and mix well. Then repeat the straining process once more.
- Smooth and tasty imli chutney/ tamarind sauce is ready.
Like, Comment, Subscribe to let us know your opinion and request. We are working everyday to bring best taste with easiest recipe.