Pakistani Chicken Biryani, Best ever TASTE!
An easy home style delicious biryani. Serve freshly cooked with raita na kachumber.
Servings 9 people
To Marinate Chicken
- 1 (750 gram) chicken cut in 12 pieces
- 1 cup yogurt
spices for chicken marination
- 2 tablespoon green chilli paste
- 3 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder or 2 tablespoon Biryani masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds roasted
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 inch cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 5 cloves
- 2 black cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ cup Oil
- 4 (500 grams) onion thinly sliced (or 1 cup fried onions packed)
- 4-5 to (500 grams) tomatoes raw pureed
- 6-8 prunes*
- 5 (400 grams) potatoes cut in large chunk, optional
- 1-2 teaspoon chat masala (add only if you like spicy food)
- 4 cup (700 grams) basmati rice soaked in water for 10 minutes
- Water to boil rice
spices for rice
- 2 inch cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 6 black pepper
- 3-4 cloves
- 4 teaspoon salt or as required
- 4 tablespoon oil divided
- 1 fistful coriander leaves chopped
- 1 fistful mint leaves chopped
- 5 medium green chillies optional
- A pinch Saffron soaked (or kewra essence)
- A pinch yellow or orange color
- ½ cup water for dum
Heat oil in a pot and fry sliced onions until crispy golden. Mix in the marinated chicken.
Cook marinated chicken for 7 minutes until color changes and oil separate on the side of the pot.
Add tomato puree and cook further for 10-15 until all tomato water dries and oil separates. Your chicken should be tender by now or cook further as needed. Sear chicken ( bhunofy) well for rich taste. Set aside.
Half boil peeled potatoes with and turmeric. Then fry potatoes with a pinch of salt until golden brown, transfer potatoes to a paper towel, and set aside.
Now, potatoes and prunes in the chicken gravy. Chicken gravy should be of thick and flowing consistency and not dry.Protip: Add little water to the gravy if it is too dry.
In the rice pot smear 2 tablespoons of oil in the bottom.
Spread a little more than ½ of the rice in the bottom then add a layer of chicken gravy. Dividing chicken pieces and potato chunks evenly in the pot.
Now sprinkle herbs, chat masala, and chilies on the chicken layer.
Finally, add a layer of remaining rice. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil on top of the rice layer.
Mix food color, saffron, and water together. Spread evenly over the rice. ( You may also add kewra water along with saffron.)
Cover pot with foil to seal the steam. Place a heavy lid too. Heat the pot on high heat for 5-7 minutes. Then reduce heat to low and dum for 15-20 minutes until rice is fully cooked and steam rises to the top when the lid is removed.
Mix rice with a large flat spoon or a small plate. (Do not over mix to break the rice grains.) And serve hot with raita and kachumber.
Rice is the most important thing in biryani. Boil rice should be aromatic with spices. Make sure your rice is under-cooked when you boil because we'll cook again for 20 minutes.
Searing ( bhunofying) is the most important step in making gravy. If your gravy is too dry add little extra water.
Calories: 590kcal | Carbohydrates: 90g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 1422mg | Potassium: 222mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 324IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 2mg