Chapli Kabab Recipe
Delicious groundmeat cutlets bursting with spices and fragrant aroma.
Servings 10 kabab
- 1½ tablespoon dried pomegranate arils (anar dana), susbtitute with dried mango powder
- 1½ to 2 tablespoon red chilli flakes adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- ½ tablespoon fennel seeds (sauf)
- ½ tablespoon Kashmiri chilli powder (for color, substitute with paprika)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder skip for less spicy
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon black salt or pink salt or just salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ kg mince (lamb or beef) 20-30% fat
- 1 cup chopped onion about 1 large, squeeze excess water (if any) and discard
- 1 cup cornmeal or maizemeal (makai ka atta)
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoon chopped green chilli
- 2 tablespoon butter (or clarified butter )
- ¾ cup chopped tomato about 1 tomato
- Ghee or butter to fry authentically fried in tallow
For Spice Mix
Roast cumin, coriander, dried pomegranate aril and fennel seed in a pan for 1 minutes until fragrant. Remove from heat.
Immediately, add ground spices in the hot pan and stir for few second. Transfer spices to a food processor and crushed them lightly to get a coarse powder. Set aside.
For chapli kabab
In large bowl take mince, spice mix, green chillies, ginger, garlic, onions, fresh corriander and butter, mix well. Marinate for 30 minutes.(Preferably 4-6 hours.)
Just before frying, add tomato, egg and cormeal. Mix well until mince gets a dough like consistency.Protip: Fry a small petty of kabab and do a taste test. Adjust if needed. (This step is optional.)
Roll out balls of kabab and flatten with hands.
Shallow fry kabab in clarified butter or tallow for 2-3 minutes on medium flame until crispy and lighty charred.
Store Chapli Kabab
Cooked Chapli kabab can be store in the fridge in an air-tight jar. Reheat in a covered in plate in the microwave before serving. You can also freeze it for up to 2 months.
Serving: 1kabab | Calories: 268kcal