Burmese Khao Soi Recipe
This is a quick yummy and easy way to make Khao Soi, serve with fried onion and garlic, chilli slices, and a splash of lemon juice.
Servings 4 servings
- Oil to fry (about 1 cup)
- 3 onions thinly sliced
- 1 whole garlic chopped
- 500 grams boneless chicken cut in small cubes
- 4 whole red button chillies
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- salt or to taste
- 3 medium tomatoes pureed
- 75 gram coconut milk powder (or 3 cups light coconut milk)
- 6 tablespoon gram flour
- 4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 chicken cube/bullion
- 1 ½ packet egg noodles (375 gram, boiled)
- Hot sauce
- Potato sticks
- Lemon wedges
- Sliced green onions
- Boiled eggs
- Roasted Peanuts
- sliced onions
Prepare Garnish (Fried Galic and onions) Skip is using pre-fried onion and garlic
In a large pot, fry garlic until golden. Remove from oil and set aside.
In same oil, fry onion slices until golden. Remove from oil and set aside.
Remove all oil from the pot leaving only 2 tablespoons. Now, add half of the fried onion (about ¼ cup) chicken, and all ingredients in the spices list in the pot. Mix well, cover, and cook for 10 minutes until chicken is tender.
Add tomato purée and mix well. Let the curry simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes until little oil separates on the sides of the pot.
Now, mix coconut milk powder, gram flour, lemon juice, and 2 cups water in a bowl. Add the mixture to simmering chicken curry.
Also add a chicken cube and 3 cups water, or as needed for desired consistency. Let the curry simmer until oil separates (about 15 minutes).
To serve take warm noodles in bowl top with curry and accompaniments of your choice. Enjoy.