Strawberry Jam without Pectin
Nothing beats the goodness of homemade strawberry jam. Making strawberry jam without pectin is so easy that if you will make it once, you will want to make it every year when fresh strawberries are available.
Servings 35 servings (550 ml)
- 1 kg strawberries hulled (2.2 pounds= about 1 kg)
- 1.5 to 2 cups sugar see notes
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
Boil water in a large pot. Immerse your 250 ml jar completely in hot water. Sterilize the jar by boiling for 8 minutes. (You can also use old jam jars.)
Lift the jar with tongs and place it on a clean white towel upside down. Do not touch with hands. Let it dry naturally.
Making Strawberry Jam
Take strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a thick-bottomed and wide pan or, pot. Mix well and leave it overnight in the refrigerator to macerate.
The next day, cook strawberries and sugar on medium heat until they are soft for 20 minutes.
Mesh the strawberries with a potato masher. You can also blend it for a smooth jam. Protip: Do a taste test now and adjust sugar if needed.
Cook for another 20 minutes on medium-low heat till mixture is reduced. Skim the foam from the top and discard.
When the jam starts to cover the spatula, do a cold plate test by dripping a large drop on the freezer cold plate. Let it cool. The drop should be jam-like with no liquid separating on the sides.
Fill hot jam in the sterilized jar. Turn the jars upside down to create a vacuum seal. Let the jam cool completely before placing it in the fridge or freezer. Your strawberry jam is ready.
Sugar ratio for a without pectin strawberry jam.
- Strawberry: Try to use a sweeter variety of fully ripened but firm strawberries. Firm fruit jam will set better than mushy or frozen fruit jam.
- Low- Sugar Strawberry jam: The best thing is to use at least 1.5 cups of sugar for 1 kg strawberries in the beginning. Add more sugar after tasting.
- 2:1 ratio works best for kids and gives a thick and reasonably sweet jam. (1kg strawberries to 2 cups sugar.)
- 4:3 ratio makes low sugar jam good for weight watcher that still gels but will have a slightly low yield. (1kg strawberry and 1.5 cup sugar.)
Serving: 1tablespoon | Calories: 42kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 41mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 1mg