Nihari Masala Recipe (spice mix)
I've tested the recipe with the fewest ingredients. Anything that can be skipped is marked with *(star). Find measures for coversion of whole spices to ground in notes.
Servings 8 tablespoon
NIHARI MASALA INGREDIENTS
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black cumin sub with cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 inch cinnamon stick broken
- 1 nos black cardamom
- 5 nos green cardamom*
- 5 nos cloves
- 1 bay leaf*
- ½ flower star anise*
- 1 long pepper (piply) sub with 6 black pepper
- 2 tablespoon Kashmiri chilli powder for color
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder*
- 2 teaspoon salt
Nihari Masala Recipe
Take whole spices in a pan and dry roast for a minute on medium heat.
Add powdered spices, and roast another for 2-3 seconds. Remove from heat and transfer to a food processor. Grind into a fine powder.
Sieve the spice mix through a fine strainer. Discard the remains.
You'll need 2 tablespoons of this spice mix for 500 kg chicken nihari. And about 2-3 tablespoon for ½ kg beef Nihari. Add more after the taste test.
Whole spices are pure and have more flavor. But you can use ground once too. Find measure for substituting whole spices with grounded below.
- Look for these spices in Indian stores, where you can find them easily and at reasonable rates.
- I understand finding all spices can be difficult even at an Indian home, particularly long pepper. Just skip if making a small batch.
- I've tried this recipe without bay leaf, star anise, and long pepper, and still tastes good. I've marked anything that is not necessary with star (*).
- Fennel seeds are particularly necessary for this recipe as they have a prominent aroma in nihari so don't skip it.
- Consider doubling the recipe if you make nihari often or for a large family.
- Store spice mix in an airtight jar in the fridge for 1 year.
- Coriander seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Cumin: 2 teaspoon
- Fennel: 1 tablespoon
- Black cumin: 1 teaspoon
- Green cardamom: ½ teaspoon
- Black cardamom:½ teaspoon
- Bay leaf: ½ teaspoon
- Star anise: ½ teaspoon
- Black pepper: ½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon: ½ teaspoon
- Clove: ½ teaspoon
- Long pepper: ¾ teaspoon
Serving: 1tablespoon | Calories: 22kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 634mg | Potassium: 116mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 900IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg