Bohra Qeema Khichri
Happily wedded unision of bhuna qeema, khichri and boiled eggs.
- 400 grams or 2 cup rice (chawal)
- 500 grams or 2 ½ cups yellow lentil (moong dal)
- 8 black peppers (kali mirch)
- 4 cloves (laung)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dal cheeni)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric or a pinch food color
- ½ teaspoon cumin (zeera)
- salt to taste (namak)
- ¾ kg mince meat beef or mutton (keema)
- ½ kg or 3 large onion (piyaz), sliced
- ½ kg or 6 medium tomato (tamatar), chopped or puree
- ½ kg or 4 medium potato (aloo), cubbed and fried
- 1 fried onion for garnishing
- ½ cup yogurt (dahi), whipped
- 1¾ cup oil
- 2 tablespoon ginger paste (adrak)
- 2 tablespoon garlic paste (lahsun)
- 2 tbs green chilli paste (choti hari mirch)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder lal mirch
- ½ tablespoon cumin (zeera)
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder (dhanya)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
- 8 cloves laung
- 2 inch cinnamon stick (dal cheeni)
- 5 to 7 round red chilli (gol lal mirch)
- 1 handful green coriander chopped dhanya
- 2 medium green chilli thick slices
- 4 to 5 large boiled eggs (anday)
- 1 medium onion golden fried for garnishing (lal piyaz)
Soak rice and gram for an hour.
Wash mince meat in large bowl, strain water and set aside.
Boil eggs in pot. Remove shell and cut into four halves.
Fry potatoes in ¾ cup oil in a separate wok until crispy. Keep stirring so potatoes are evenly fried.
After potatoes fry 1 sliced onion in same potato oil for garnishing. After frying save the oil, we will use it later.
In large skillet put 1 cup oil and fry onions for qeema until on medium flame until golden brown.
When onions for qeeema are golden fried. Add dry spices (cumin, cloves, black pepper, turmeric, coriander, black cardamom, red chili powder and round red chili) crackle and then add wet spices( ginger, garlic, green chilli paste). Once flavors are infused, we will add tomatoes, mix. Cover the lids. Cook for one minute.
Add qeema and cook on medium low for 15 minutes. If there is excess water, dry it. We will need little gravy for biryani. ( You can also smoke your qeema with charcoal at this stage if you like smoked food.)
In a large pot for biryani take water salt, cinnamon, cloves, cumin , turmeric and black pepper and bring it to boil. Add soaked rice and grams. Cook for 10 minutes or until 1 'kani', 80% rice are cooked.
When khichri is cooked strain and leave in strainer for few minute so all water is drained.
Smear oil in the bottom of biryani pot that we saved from frying. Spread ⅔ of khichri in the bottom layer.
Add a layer of qeema, potato, boiled eggs, coriander, chilies and black pepper. Cover with remaining khichri. Add remaining oil from frying on khichri.
Keep the rice for dum for 15-20 minutes on medium low flame.
Calories: 715kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 104mg | Potassium: 949mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 620IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 5mg