Chicken Korma Recipe (Pakistani)
A delicious and rich korma recipe that is full of desi flavors. It has the same authentic Pakistani taste that is perfected with repeated testing. Fail-Proof recipe with clear instructions.
Servings 5 servings
- ½ cup oil
- 2 cups onions 1 cup= 1 medium onion
- 1 cup yogurt
- 5 nos cashew or almonds, more to garnish
- 5 cloves
- 5 green cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon pepper corns
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon green chili paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 500 gram skinless chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½-1 teaspoon red chilli powder adjust to spice preference
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon kewra water or rose water
In the pot fry thinly sliced onions for 7-10 minutes until soft begins to turn golden. Add cashew nuts and let it roast until onions are lightly golden.
Remove the onion from the oil. Try pressing onion on the wall of the pot to squeeze as much oil as possible. Transfer fried onions and cashew to a blender also add the yogurt and blend until absolutely smooth. Set aside.
In the oil, sizzle the whole spices for 1 minute then add garlic, chili, and ginger paste. Let it sizzle for a few seconds.
Add chicken and ground spices. Stir fry the chicken for 5 minutes until the color of the chicken changes and it gets a few golden marks.
Add the onion-yogurt paste and water to the chicken. Mix well. Cover and cook chicken on medium heat for 15 minutes until chicken is tender and oil separates profusely. Check at intervals and add little water to adjust the consistency if needed.
Garnish with roasted cashew and serve.
- Chicken: You can this korma with beef and mutton as well.
- Onion: Try to use purple onions. If you have pre-fried onions, you'll need about 1 cup.
- Spices: You can switch ground spices for whole spices. If you can't find 1-2 whole spices that's ok. It'll still taste delicious.
- Yogurt: Use fresh and unsweetened yogurt that isn't too sour.
- Kewra water: You can substitute it with rose water. Kewra water is a diluted form of kewra essence. So in case, you have kewra essence in hand. Use just 1 to 2 drops.
- Cashew: This optional but recommended ingredient. It provides richness to the gravy.
- If you scale the recipe to 2X 3X or 5 X. The cooking time will increase. I will recommend frying onion in batches without overcrowding.
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 358mg | Potassium: 485mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 289IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 119mg | Iron: 2mg