Chicken Seekh Kabab Recipe Pan-fried or Baked
Follow this recipe chicken seekh recipe ditto and you’ll get simply scrumptious food hitting your palate.
Servings 15 wooden skewer kabab
Ingredients for marination
- 500 grams ground chicken ground with white chicken fat. see notes
- 1 medium onion finely chopped, squeeze and discard excess water. See notes
- 3 tablespoon fresh coriander finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoon garlic ,chopped (lahsun)
- 1-2 green chillies finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon cream
- 3 tablespoon seekh kabab masala (Recipe given below.) You can ready made from here or here.
- ghee or oil , for frying
- 2 inch piece of charcoal to smoke
Ingredients for Seekh Kabab Masala recipe
- 3 tablespoon gram flour or chickpea flour (besan)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri red chilli powder or paprika for color
- ¾ tablespoon red chilli powder more to taste
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano seed (ajma)
- 4 cloves laung
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Roast all ingredients of seekh kabab masala in a pan for 1 minutes on medium heat with constant stirring. (Gram flour can burn quickly so be alert.) Remove into plate, cool it and grind it into a fine powder in a spice grinder. Seekh kabab spice mix is ready.
Take your ground chicken in a bowl. Add ginger, onion, butter, cream, seekh kabab masala, garlic, green chilies and coriander.
Mix well. Cook a small lump of the mixture in a frying pan to do a taste test. Adjust salt and seekh kabab masala to your taste. Then marinate chicken mixture for 20-30 minutes in the fridge.
Method 1: Seekh kabab Recipe (Stovetop or Pan-fried)
Heat charcoal on flame for smoking. (If smoking)
Grease your hand with oil. Roll a ball of kabab out of the marinated mixture and shape it on a pencil, chopstick, or skewer and make a long cylindrical kabab.
Heat 1-2 tbs oil in a pan on medium heat. Fry seekh kabab on medium-high heat until golden from all sides.
Fry all kabab in batches and store in aluminum foil and smoke with charcoal.
To Smoke Seekh kabab (Optional Step)
Gather all kabab in a pan or pot. Place the red hot charcoal on a foil in between the kabab. Now drizzle a few drops of oil on coal and quickly cover the pot with a tight lid. The smoke must not escape the pot.
Smoke for 5 minutes, then lift the lid and serve with raita or chutney.
Instructions for kabab casserole
You can cook these kababs a day ahead. Transfer the cooked kabab to a casserole dish and garnish with onion rings. Drizzle a few tablespoons of tamarind chutney, garlic raita, green chutney over the kabab. Cover the casserole with a foil and store it in the fridge for 12-18 hours. Just before serving preheat the oven to 250 F. Place kabab in fol in oven and heat for 15 -20 minutes until hot. Serve with raita and salads.
- Ground chicken with fat: Chicken grounded with white chicken fat is essentials for making juicy seekh kababs. I used boneless chicken and grounded it with white fat around the chicken in a food processor.
- Onions: We need finely chopped onions for this recipe. I did my chopping in the food processor and squeezed the chopped onion lightly between palm to remove excess water.
- Ginger and Garlic: I chopped ginger and garlic too in the food processor separately. If chopped ginger is watery, squeeze it lightly too and discard the water.
These kababs are freezer friendly. Just cook the kabab and the line it apart in a tray and freeze. Once the kababs are solid gather in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. You can eat defrost and reheat kabab in a pan.