White Chicken Karahi Recipe
A creamy and mildly spiced curry with mild tartness from yogurt. Sprinkle ginger and chiles slices on each serving.
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon whole black pepper
For white Karahi
- ½ kg chicken pieces
- ¼ cup oil
- Salt to taste
- 1½ tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 medium onion blend into paste
- 1 tablespoon green chilli paste
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder optional
- ¾ cup yogurt whipped
- ¼ cup cream
- 4 medium green chili, divided
Dry roast cumin, coriander and pepper in a pan and ground them into powder. Set aside.
Heat oil in a wok and fry chicken pieces for 2 minutes on high heat until colour changes.
Mix in onion paste, ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste and grounded spices. Fry for 5 minutes until onion water is dried.
Add yogurt, mix and cover the lid. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until chicken is tender.
Next, add cream and cook for 1 more minute.
Remove seeds of chilies and cut into two halves lengthwise. Mix half of chillies in karahi.
Garnish with shredded ginger and remaining chili halves.
- Wok: Try to cook karahi in a wok (karahi) but if you don’t have one then you can cook in a large pot or pan that allows a lot of searing and stir-frying surfaces.
- Bone-in chicken: The bones release the fats that enhance the flavor of karahi. So stick to the bone-in chicken.
- Whole Spices: You can alway keep a bottle of pre-roasted and grounded cumin and coriander seed to lift some of the extra work at the last moment.
- Onion paste: Simply ground onion in a processor until it is a paste.
- Cream and Yogurt: If you are looking for non-dairy options, you can add coconut cream, cashew paste, nut cream, and nut milk. But the taste will change a little bit.
- Ginger garlic paste: This is simply ginger and garlic grounded together in equal quantity by weight.
- Add ginger to individual servings as per taste or skip it.
- To reheat the chicken, add a little milk if gravy is dry.
Calories: 531kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 120mg | Sodium: 136mg | Potassium: 366mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 532IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 2mg