Bhindi Recipe (Pakistani Okra)
A quick bhindi recipe for lunch or side dish that tastes homely and yummy.
Servings 4 servings
- 500 gram okra (bhindi)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup oil (teel)
- ½ tablespoon chopped garlic (lahsan)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds or powder (zeera)
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds optional
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (sookha dhanya)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste (adrak)
- 1 tablespoon green chili paste (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon salt more to taste
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3-4 medium green chilli slitted and seeds removed
Wash and dry okra on a towel. Chop off the end and cut the okra in small pieces.
Dry roast okra in a pan on medium heat with constant stirring so the sticky threads burns for 5-7 minutes. We needs the okra to be slightly soft and half cooked. Set aside.
Simultaneously, heat oil in a seperate pan and fry garlic, fenugreek and cumin until lightly golden. Add the remaining ingredients in spices list. Give it all a stir and fry for few second.
Now, add chooped onion and fry until onion are translucent and soft.
Then add the tomatoes, tamarind pulp and sugar. Cover and cook until gravy is thick and oil separates on the sides of the pan.
Next add the roasted okra in the onion tomato gravy and mix well. And cook for 5-7 minutes without covering the lid. Add the slitted green chillies.
Yummy Okra (bhindi ) is ready.