Chicken Haleem recipe
Haleem is nutritious whole grain meal, with goodness of grains, lentils and meat. It tastes best with an array of garnish and chat masala.
Servings 16 servings
Grains and Lentils
- 1½ cup whole wheat or broken wheat (300 gram)
- ½ cup rice
- ½ cup red lentil (masoor daal)
- ½ cup yellow lentil (moong dal)
- ½ cup Bengal gram (channa dal)
- ½ cup barley (jaav) , optional
* You can substitute one lentil for other. You can also 1½ cup of any lentil.
- 2 tablespoon green chilli paste
- 2 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoon garlic paste
- 6 medium onions , sliced
- Oil to fry
- 1200 grams chicken with bones or 1 kg boneless chicken
- 1½ tablespoon red chilli powder or to taste
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon black cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 4 green cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 15 red button chillies
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup of oil use oil used to fry sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Hand full of mint leaves chopped
- 50 gram ginger sliced
- Mint leaves
- Chat masala
- Medium sized green chillies sliced
For wheat and lentils
Combine all lentils and grains and wash by changing water twice or as required. Soak for 2 hours or preferably overnight.
Take soaked lentils and grains in a large heavy bottomed pot. Add salt, ginger, garlic and green chilli paste and water. The level of water should be 2 inch above the grains. Bring lentils to a boil then reduce heat to slow and cover the lid tightly Cook for 1½ hour.
When grain are very soft and add 2-3 cups cold water and to bring grains to room temperature then blend with immersion blender, until very smooth. Cook further on slow heat and keep stirring at interval to avoid sticking from bottom.
For spice mix
While grains cook, roast all whole spice in a pan and and ground into fine powder. (Skip this step if using ready made spice mix.)
Fry sliced onion in pan until golden. Work in two batches. Spread onions on kitchen towel so it gets crispy.( Skip this step if using store brought fried onions.)
In another pot take chicken. Add ⅓ cup of remaining oil from fried onions. Take ½ cup tightly packed fried onion and crush it, add to chicken. Also add 1 cup water, grounded whole spices , salt, red chilli powder and turmeric. (Do not add these spices if using ready made spice mix.)
Cover the pot and cook chicken on low heat for 30 minutes or until tender.
Remove chicken from gravy and let it cool. Remove bones and shred it. Add both gravy and shredded chicken to lentil and grain pot.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 119mg | Potassium: 750mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 691IU | Vitamin C: 67mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 4mg