Savory Chicken Crepes recipe with bechamel sauce. For a long long time, I had been playing with this recipe through testing. This dish was born when French chicken crepe wedded bechamel sauce. I usually make these on lazy Sundays when you wish to spend less time in the kitchen and yet have yummy weekend style food.
Updated: 30 August 2020
And, on those days, I cook in the evening and can’t take photos in daylight. But this time, I managed to take photos, although a shabby photo to make a cover for this post.
Nevertheless, the dish is delicious --- full of flavors. The crepes are like crepes —- soft and yummy. (I can have it on their own or better with a sauce.) Filling has spices, herb and few green veggies to add more bite to the dish. We all love it!!!
Tips to make Savory Chicken Crepes
- You can make crepes batter 24 hours ahead.
- You can also make chicken and white sauce a day ahead. So if you’re planning this as a side with a high protein main-course, you can make these prep a day ahead and assemble the dish a little before the guest will arrive.
- If you make this dish ahead, you can also reheat in oven or microwave before serving.
- Finally, I used the oven only to melt and broil my cheese. So, if you don’t have oven just melt cheese by heating in a microwave oven.
Variation for a savory chicken crepes with bechamel Sauce
- I prefer all green veggies for this dish but you may add mushroom, corns, olives, jalapeno, broccoli to your white sauce. Of course, you need to reduce other veggies and add your favorite once.
- Cheese is added only on the top but if want a really cheesy crepe, add cream cheese in filling as well.
- You can use any leftover chicken like a rotisserie or spicy chicken tikka or tandoori as well.
- Mince fillings with also be a great option with savory crepe.
How to make Savory Chicken Crepes recipe
Make Crepes Batter
First, pour milk in a blender and then the remaining ingredients. Blend all into a purée. The batter is very thin. Keep the batter in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
While batter chills cook chicken. Mix oil, ginger, garlic and green chilli paste in a pan.
Mix well and cover the lid. Cook for 20 minutes until chicken is tender and water dries. The chicken is ready. Break chicken into small pieces with a flat spatula.
Make Bechamel or White Sauce filling
In another pan heat oil and fry garlic for a minute. Also adds flour, oregano powder, chicken cube and pepper. Fry for a minute or two until fragrant.
Add 1 cup milk and mix well until their no lumps. ( Turn off the heat if needed. ) Then add remaining milk and cook on low heat until sauce is thick. White sauce is ready.
Add chicken and vegetable to the white sauce.
Also add chillies, optional add only if like spicy food.
Heat a non stick pan, also grease it with few drops of oil.
Pour about ⅓ cup of batter and tilt the pan from sides to side so that batter is evenly coated. Cook for 1 minute. When you see the edge of crepes drying and turning dark, flip it.
One side is cooked.
Assemble Savory Chicken crepes with bechamel filling
Transfer crepe to a plate. (Similarly, cook all crepes. )
Pour about ½ cup filling on each crepe.
Then fold the top and bottom edge.
Now fold the sides and roll.
Place each roll in a dish. Sprinkle cheese on the top. Broil the cheese in the oven until melted. Savory Chicken crepes with bechamel sauce are ready!
Hungry for more cheesy creamy recipe? Try these!
- Tikka Paratha Roll Bake
- Chicken and Vegetables Bread Pie
- Shepherd's Pie
- Dabba Chicken Pie, Macronic chicken, and veggies in coconut sauce with fried eggs topping.
- Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- Chicken Peanut Noodles
Savory Chicken Crepe Recipe
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 4 egg
- 3 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Oil, to grease pan
- 400 grams boneless chicken
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon green chilli paste
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
Make white sauce
- 6 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- 7 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 chicken cube or bullion
- ¼ teaspoon oregano powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 3½ cups milk
- 1 large stalk green onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium capsicum, finely chopped
- 3-4 medium green chillies, finely chopped (adjust chillies to taste or skip)
- 100 gram cheddar cheese , for topping
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, for garnish
- In a blender, first add milk. Then add eggs, flour, butter and salt. Blend for a minute to make a smooth purée.
- Keep the batter in fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Heat a non stick pan and grease it with few drops of oil. Then pour ⅓ cup of batter over pan and cook for a minutes until edges turn dry and slightly golden. Then flip the crepe and cook other side for few seconds until you have few brown marks. Remove the crepe from pan and set aside.
- Repeat with remaining batter to make about 10 crepes. Pile crepes one over the other and set aside.
- While batter chills in fridge, make chicken. Take chicken, ginger, garlic, green paste, salt water and oil in a pan. Mix well and cover. Cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Dry out any excess water on high flame.
Make White Sauce
- Heat oil in a pan and fry garlic for few seconds.
- Then add flour, pepper, chicken cube and oregano. Mix and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to slow and gradually add milk with constant stirring. Cook for few minute until liquid boil and becomes thick. (Adjust flame if needed.)
- Now add chicken and all vegetables to white sauce. Mix well.
- Take crepe in a plate and add about ½ cup filling in each crepe. Fold the top and bottom of crepe over filling. Then fold the right and left to make a crepe roll. Similarly, assemble remaining crepes.
- Put each roll on oven proof dish and sprinkle shredded cheese over it.
- Place in preheated oven (350 F /160 C) for 7 minutes to heat. Then broil the dish for 5 minutes until slightly golden.
- Sprinkle dried oregano over the cheese and serve with tomato sauce.